Sailing in the navy

Hi all,

I am currently in the application process for joining as a Warfare Officer Submariner as direct school lever after A-Levels. I have asked around and checked the RNSA website but I have still not found any solid information as to the situation of competitive sailing in the Navy. I currently sail at national level regularly and at the occasional international event and I was part way through a campaign season in my Finn before Covid hit. I was hoping someone could help with information regarding frequency of sailing / training and how to go about attaining a place for oneself on the team. I am aware that the navy do attend a few events as I was lucky enough to stand in for a day's racing with the SB20 team at Cowes week 2019. Any information would be greatly appreciated as this is a rather important factor for me. Many thanks.

Regards,
George T

Waspie

War Hero
Mmmm, sailing and wanting to join submarines!!! Well why not!!

Seriously. Best option would, in my humble opinion. Email one of the contacts on the RNSA home page. Explain to them your position and take it from there.

The RN is usually very positive towards sports. Other than that, good luck, hope it works out for you.

Pandaplodder

Badgeman
Mmmm, sailing and wanting to join submarines!!! Well why not!!

Seriously. Best option would, in my humble opinion. Email one of the contacts on the RNSA home page. Explain to them your position and take it from there.

The RN is usually very positive towards sports. Other than that, good luck, hope it works out for you.
Hasn't the sailing school at Pompey just been taken over by the Army?

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I was quite a sailor back in the day, though not at your standard. Got some pots though..... ;) Faslane has (had?) a fantastic sailing centre with access to dinghies and keel boats. The area in general is fantastic for sailing as you probably know. If you are that good, then (possibly) you'll be 'allowed' to be almost an elite athlete. It has happened in the recent past for skiers, rowers and I think a yachty.

Try actually writing to somebody at the RNSA rather than just looking at the website. I seem to recall it is divided into 'Dinghies' and 'Offshore' - there MUST be a contact name on the site somewhere.

Latest Threads