Saffa Looking for more Information

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by sandam, Jan 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I'm a south african lad currently in the process of applying to the Royal Marines. But I've heard and read about the south african bill relating to mercenary activites and how it applies to other lands military services. I was hoping a poster here might be able to provide me with some more information. From what I've read, I'll basically have to relinquish my south african citizenship if i'd like to join, which not a problem for me personally, may be a problem because I haven't fully qualified for british citizenship yet. Is this the case? Has there been progress between the MoD and the SA government with regards to this issue?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

2. havent a clue- but welcome to RR mate x

3. I'd advise speaking to the Brit Embassy Military Attache in SA assuming you are posting from there or a local Recruitng Offuce here?. Both of them would have thoughts I'm sure.
    :smile:

4. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Best place to ask would be on the South African side as it's a South African law we are talking about. Or do as whitemouse suggests, ask the Recruiting Office here (you claim to be posting from London or is it the South African one? :wink: )

Moving this to the RM forum. There is a query from a South African in the Newbies Forum too. Spooky.

5. Thanks for all the advice. My careers advisor said go to the consulate near Trafalgar (will be doing so on thursday before work) but I was hoping there'd be some more first hand knowledge. Or a pointer in the right direction, which has so kindly been provided. Thanks again.

6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

probably doesn't help but I had a couple of SA mates when I was in the Corps
    they joined up to get out of national service..?? good guys, one's still awol I belive.

7. You're free to join up now, providing you already satisfy the Naturalisation requirements for entry to the RM. What this South African Bill means is that if it goes into law as it currently stands you will be required to either renounce South African nationality or leave the RM.

The Foreign Office is currently attempting to negotiate a waiver for members of the UK Armed Forces, but so far without success. Current plans are to offer fast-track British nationality to any serving South African member of the UK military should the Bill go into law unamended. Anything concrete about the subject isn't likely to be known until May, however.

But, nothing stopping you from signing up now.

8. Thank you, thank you, thank you. That answers my questions perfectly. Yes, i do qualify on the Naturalisation requirement (3 years and 2 months now). And chances of me leaving the RM if I get in are some where between none and not even if hell froze over.