Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safety Device Could Have Saved Lives

Skunkmiester

Lantern Swinger
ex_wasp_L2 said:
I used the RPG as a generalisation for a non heat seaker or non RF missile, sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

Please excuse my ignorance here but do you mean that there are AA missiles that do not have a seeking device on? i.e dumb missiles?

I mean apart from aa shells and heavy machine guns I thought it would be bloody hard to have a dumb aa missile? have I got this round my neck?

There's a thread running on PPrune at the moment about just this subject. It goes into some detail, and is effectively a campaign to get suppressant fitted to the Hercs.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=215665

Don't forget, YOU may one day be required to fly to a war zone in a Herc en-route to a ship, or something.

PLEASE NOTE - poster 'CHAPPIE' is the sister of Bob O'conner, the RAF sergeant who was killed in the crash. 'NIGEGILB' is an ex-Herc pilot who is spearheading the campaign and has talked to some very high level people about this issue.

It affects all boys and girls who climb aboard the Herc - worth a read to get the full picture.

CheefTiff

Lantern Swinger
Folks, I have read this forum with interest and once again I am astounded by the stupidity of our ruling classes.

Is this not just history repeating itself though. Surely I have seen similar things happen many many times.

The "powers that be" will never learn. Not so long as it affects their luxurious lifestyle.

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
Crab_Driver said:
There's a thread running on PPrune at the moment about just this subject. It goes into some detail, and is effectively a campaign to get suppressant fitted to the Hercs.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=215665

Fascinating and frightening in equal measure.

As a professional safety engineer who has worked on Safety Cases and MAR in the past, I'm heartened that the crews are finally waking up to the level of risk that the DPA are happy to assume on their behalf. I remain disgusted, however, at the manner in which the major defence contractors hide behind the "peace-time use only" caveat in their safety case.

Safety and risk management is not done particularly well by defence contractors nor by the DPA/MoD and there is no consistent approach adopted - this means that at times it is possible that an aircraft platform and its various weapon configurations will have been judged by totally different measures. How then is it possible to judge the safety of the overall aircraft system when a weapon is integrated?

All too often, bottom line cost is placed at a higher level of importance than the actual job at hand, i.e. developing and delivering effective, safe, and leading edge weapon systems. Insted we end up with ineffective, potentially hazardous and dated weapons.

Returning to nautical matters, I can cite a specific (non-RN) example that illustrates the diligence applied by certain anonymous defence contractors. I was a safety engineer for a combat system supplier who had developed a product that was supplied to a Far-Eastern Navy; two frigates were built in Glasgow and the combat system was installed. Late in the development a safety engineer was engaged to provide assurance that safety was adequate. Considering how the system was to be used, I queried why the system's underlying track management database wasn't regarded as critical - after all, this contains details of all external contacts which, if the PWO so decides, could become targets. I raised this question of the System Design Authority while standing in the Ops Room of one of the ships and received the answer that the database was "for information only" and that before any missile engagement took place, the operator would "look out of the window and check the plane is hostile" before it would be engaged. At this point, I queried "which window?" - the DA looked round, and answered that the operators would "have to phone the bridge to confirm". At this point, I tendered my resignation!

None of my recent experience has demonstrated that the defence industry has any better grasp of how their products are used, nor do they see the need to gain this knowledge. As long as the DPA dance to their tune and accept the cheapest bid (which is then ramped up through contract variations) which doesn't meet the needs of the fighting force, we're going to compelled to do ever more and with ever less effective tools.

Rant over, I'm off for a lie down now.

rictic

Badgeman
Engines said:
Yes I was suitably impressed (sat in San Carlos) when the news gave out 'there appears to be something wrong with the Argentinians (British)Bombs'
The problem with the argy bombs was that they were dropping them at a lower level than the bombs were set for. They were inflight for less time than was necessary for the little fusing prop to rotate sufficiently to arm the weapon.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Update on the government’s response to the Independent Medicines and Medical Devices Safety Review MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Safety review of epilepsy medicines in pregnancy - women who may become pregnant urged to discuss treatment options with their doctor MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Winter Coastal Safety Campaign Launched MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sunbeam report and safety flyer published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS OPSS launches Christmas online toy safety campaign MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government plans to strengthen firearms laws for public safety MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sellafield logistics provider wins two safety awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Together for women's safety: joint statement from the British Embassy Bucharest MoD News 0
MoD_RSS OPSS Launches Firework Safety Campaign MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Next steps announced to boost road safety and close mobile phone loophole MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Safety bulletin published for the Diversion investigation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Road workers line up to improve safety at popular country park MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Secretary and international partners tell tech companies to put child safety first MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has reappointed Rimla Akhtar and Janet Johnson as Board Members of the Sports Grounds Safety Authority. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS MAIB safety digest 2/2020 published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Passport to safety – open to all suppliers, large and small MoD News 0
MoD_RSS LLWR's outstanding health and safety record recognised at RoSPA awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Safety-critical alerts are changing at the MHRA MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Grenfell Tower safety works: write-up and Q&A from 27 July online event MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Public safety boost with more secure accommodation for prison leavers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sellafield scoops prestigious safety awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS May C report and safety flyer published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fishing vessel owners guilty of safety breaches MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Building safety: letter to Chair of the Industry Safety Steering Group (22 July 2020) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Public safety boosted with 1,000 new probation officers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ride Free: new online motorcycle training to improve road safety MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New standards to improve safety for taxi and private hire vehicle passengers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Explained: The Draft Building Safety Bill MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Landmark building safety law to keep residents safe MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Vacancy: Safety Data Co-Ordinator MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government bans old coach, bus and lorry tyres from roads in new measures to improve road safety MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Building regulations and fire safety procedural guidance: circular letter 15 July 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New plans to ensure safety of UK journalists MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Cowden Beach closed for safety reasons MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Haulier backing Highways England safety calls after runaway tyre smashes into HGV MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Anna-Marie II report and safety flyer published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letter and update on upcoming safety works in response to the Grenfell Tower fire: 3 July 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Commercial fishing and Maritime Safety Week 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Maritime Safety Week 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS AAIB Publishes 2019 Annual Safety Review MoD News 0
MoD_RSS World Food Safety Day 2020 - food safety is our business too MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Alliance marks safety milestone with community donations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New report reveals UK as world leader in online safety innovation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New £1 billion building safety fund to remove dangerous cladding from high rise buildings MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updates on building safety reforms: Dear Colleague Letter (26 May 2020) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Local leaders pledge to continue vital building safety work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Delivering on health, safety and justice in Kosovo MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Commission finds misconduct by charity that claimed to deliver public safety messages via Bluetooth MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Joint pledge to continue vital building safety work during pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Joint statement on safety of journalists and access to information during the COVID-19 crisis MoD News 0