SA80 get a heads up before you go to Raliegh

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by stufish, Nov 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HI All,

I got this from ebay on the advice of a mate in basic, he said quite a few
    people have trouble with the weapons handling part of the course.

This is the training manual for the SA80 L85, it should give you a chance to bone up before you go, even if you just learn the name and location of the main parts it will make it easier to learn when you get to basic.

thx stu
  2. Erm, you sure that this information should be in the public domain?
  3. well you can buy it on ebay from a seller in the uk, download it from most torrent site's, so I guess they arnt to worried about it?

Mod's if your unhappy about this please remove the post!
  4. fair point, I'll remove the file untill a Mod has a chance to comment?
  5. Its a lot of info to get bogged down with, I wouldnt both with it, your instructor will tell you every thing you need to know, any thing else may only confuse you or get you labled a smart arse.
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Have to say I haven't a clue whether this information is widely available in the public domain or not, but either way it's probably not best to plug it on this site just in case. Hence removal of links to said item. However if it doesn't give instructional details on how to actually manufacture it, including materials & dimensions, I doubt it's particularly restricted..

Have to say I'm absolutely amazed that someone could actually be bothered buying something that is freely available in training- it's a bit like those that foolishly buy those "How to join the RN/RM" CD's- complete waste of money & it doesn't mean you're going to get in quicker, or pass your weapons handling test quicker in this instance.

The Recruiting Test gives us a very good indication as to whether an individual has the intellectual ability to be trained - rest assured RN standards are somewhat higher than others who still seem to be able to fire a weapon even if they're illiterate - erm, some members of the Taliban for instance, or teenage thugs in UK probably don't have to pass a recruiting test to the best of my knowledge before they murder someone.
  7. No worries thanks for the post N_S.

That whole issue aside I have notice a trend of comments around RR in general and not from any particular individual (please no one who has posted in this thread feel this is directed at you, it’s not). Criticizing people for trying to prepare a little before heading off to Raleigh, I must say I'm a little confused. I feel the better prepared you are for something the more you will get out of it, plus it will give you more time to put into any problem areas you may have during your training as a whole or allow you to assist you’re class mates who maybe struggling. Please appreciate I’m not suggesting you should think you know more than the instructor or be nonchalant about what you think you know. I believe that you should listen, learn and follow instruction it’s in your own interest, but if preparation is not encouraged why am I / we out running five nights a week?
  8. I think it's a question of appropriate preparation. The training assumes a base level of knowledge and builds on that, the physical training assumes a base level of fitness and builds on that. Getting beyond the base level of fitness before you start does make the physical side easier, although the training team will still expect to see you pushing yourself. Getting beyond the base level in other topics isn't always appropriate, and I'd suggest that the use of the rifle is one such area, notwithstanding the fact that the document you referenced is protectively marked.

There is also a difference between preparation and completely kicking the arse out of it, but that's less apposite for this topic.

On a specific note, the weapon handling test is a physical test, you'll get much more out of one hour of actually handling the rifle than you will from a week of reading the pamphlet. What slows people up with it is having to stop and think about it.
  9. Well put , alot more elliquant than I could manage I didnt mean it to sound belittleing
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Good points Stu,

Everyone is advised to prepare themselves physically, even more so Royal Marines & RN Divers. All candidates are also advised to learn basic washing & ironing skills before they join. The two previous things are the ones that most people get discharged for failing- that being the case, focus on those two, I'd advise.

Prospective Royal Marines are also expected to do a hell of a lot more research than their RN counterparts, without doubt, however it is fairly rare (but not unheard of) for someone to be discharged purely for failing weapons handling, in either the RN or RM.

To give an example of trade training, the RN website & the individual branch careers literature specifically states that "no previous experience is necessary". For those that feel they would like to be "ahead of the curve" the best thing to do, depending on age is to join the Sea Cadets/RM Cadets, the University Royal Naval Unit or the Royal Naval Reserve/Royal Marines Reserve to gain a little extra knowledge for minimal expense.
  11. Ninja_Stoker

There is also the danger of trying to turn Phase One training into a correspondence course.
  12. I was a little worried my comments may have be miss interpreted, but I’m glad to see an intelligent, constructive and well thought reply’s. I personally suffered very badly as a young lad with dyslexia and I guess my need to do as much preparation for any kind of test, assessment or challenge comes from that and not wanting to fail at anything I do!

Thx stu
  13. Ninja_Stoker

I can completely empathise Stu, but as long as you can pass the Recruiting test, then your dyslexia should not pose a problem.

There are few, if any, written elements regarding weapons handling or your personal weapons test, so I'd concentrate on phys & personal administration tasks (washing/ironing) at this stage.
  14. You could always be one step ahead and go for sniper training just by the CD and SEE PICTURES OF CRACK BRITISH ROYAL ARMY SNIPERS whoever they are.

I was so excited reading this I nearly dropped the cat!! More shite for the masses. Coming soon to your neighborhood a born again sniper.

How to tell if you are in the Sniper's Cross-hairs St Peter checks you in through the PearlyGates! & Sniper Training.htm