S Wales Evening Post: "Press-Ganged Into Getting Fit With The Royal Naval Reserves"

soleil

War Hero
5718386-large.jpg

"I started sweating at the very mention of the words fitness test and with good reason.

Having inched several pizzas past 17 stone I realised that it was time to do something about my ever expanding bola before I developed my own weather systems.

Petty Officer Leon Murnieks, who has agreed to help me in my task, suggested trying the Navy’s minimum standard 2.5 kilometre run ......."

Press-ganged into getting fit with the Royal Naval Reserves, GERAINT THOMAS has agreed to record his pain in a regular column. | South Wales Evening Post

soleil

War Hero
The pain goes on for Swansea reporter Geraint Thomas

"The Royal Naval Reserves in Swansea have carried out more tests on me than they would an alien caught splashing down off Gower.

Last week it was a timed 2.4km run – failed so spectacularly they ironically nicknamed me Jabba the Hutt – and this week it was all gym-based.

Royal Naval Reserve diver Simon Morgans, 35, volunteered to throw me in the deep end as it were. Navy divers have to be very fit – he told me that they have to train to make a 30 minute tank of oxygen last 45 minutes; I told him I could polish it off in under five minutes if I ran."

The pain goes on for Swansea reporter Geraint Thomas | South Wales Evening Post

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil S Wales Evening Post: "RN Wildcat Helicopter To Appear At Wales National Air Show" The Fleet Air Arm 4
MoD_RSS Summer Statement delivers plans for jobs in Wales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Proposed Nationally Significant Infrastructure Projects in England and Wales, Sizewell C Nuclear Power Station MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Demand from England and Wales to restore Beeching lines as deadline for proposals closes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Students in Wales can apply now for postgraduate funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £44 million boost to fuel major regional research and development projects in south Wales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Extra UK Government funding for service charities supporting people across Wales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK and Welsh governments team up on big broadband boost for rural Wales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Part time students in Wales can apply now for student finance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More face-to-face hearings as additional courts reopen across Wales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government supports the income of 418,000 people across Wales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS SLC extends student finance deadline for full-time, returning students in England and Wales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government to provide up to £23m in extra funding to tackle coronavirus in Wales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Welsh Secretary commends Armed Forces’ contribution to the fight against coronavirus in Wales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Wales to receive additional £64.5m as a result of transport funding in England MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government and Prince of Wales urge workers to pick fruit and veg for Britain MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Students in Wales encouraged to apply now for student finance MoD News 0
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Prince Of Wales To Carry Out Investigation After Flooding Onboard" The Fleet 16
MoD_RSS Extra £35m for Wales in fight against coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS North Wales ‘Sofa Singers’ founder wins PM award for virtual lockdown choir MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £12 million improvements for Manchester to Wales motorway MoD News 0
MoD_RSS From Parliament to Pembrokeshire: Welsh Secretary to answer Welsh Questions from Wales for first time in history MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government provides extra £95m to tackle coronavirus in Wales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chancellor to provide extra £350m to tackle Coronavirus in Wales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Appointment of Keith Fraser as Chair of the Youth Justice Board for England and Wales. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Welsh Secretary praises UK's Armed Forces' support in Wales' fight against coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Myrtle Lloyd appointed new Registrar General for England and Wales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Correspondence between PSPRB Chair and Prisons Minister: 2020 England and Wales written evidence and submission MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coal Authority to coordinate tip safety work in Wales MoD News 0
soleil Naval Technology: "HMS Prince of Wales to begin F-35 trials in January 2021" The Fleet 1
soleil FB: RN - Liverpool: 18-year-old Sailor Rhys Gets A Birthday Surprise From His Family On Board HMS Prince Of Wales The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS Coal Authority attends safety meeting about coal tips in Wales MoD News 1
MoD_RSS The Prince of Wales to visit Bosnia and Herzegovina MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Rural Wales set to benefit from slice of £65 million 5G trials package MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Cabinet Office hosts the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Rape victims in Wales to benefit from UK Government funding boost  MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Report 02/2020: Runaway locomotive at Beddgelert, North Wales, 16 April 2019 MoD News 0
soleil HMS Prince of Wales To Make Inaugural Visit To Liverpool The Fleet 43
MoD_RSS UK defence invests more than £1 billion in Wales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HRH Prince of Wales Speech at Yad Vashem MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HRH Prince of Wales visits Israel MoD News 0
soleil FB: Portsmouth News "What An Amazing Photo Of HMS Queen Elizabeth And HMS Prince Of Wales" Bases / Shore Est 1
MoD_RSS DVLA unveils Blood Bikes Wales as their Charity of Choice for 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New traffic commissioners appointed for the north west of England and for Wales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A brighter future for Wales outside the EU MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Simon Hart MP appointed Secretary of State for Wales MoD News 0
soleil i: "'A Fitting Tribute': Second World War Hero's Uniform Pride Of Place On HMS Prince of Wales" History 2
soleil FB: Video Highlights Of Yesterday's Commissioning Ceremony for HMS Prince of Wales - Editing By LPhot Dan Rosenbaum The Fleet 1
MoD_RSS The AAIB has sent a team to North Wales MoD News 0
Ageing_Gracefully Three days mourning called in Wales Diamond Lil's 2