S Wales Evening Post: "Press-Ganged Into Getting Fit With The Royal Naval Reserves"

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by soleil, Jan 27, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 5718386-large.jpg

"I started sweating at the very mention of the words fitness test and with good reason.

Having inched several pizzas past 17 stone I realised that it was time to do something about my ever expanding bola before I developed my own weather systems.

Petty Officer Leon Murnieks, who has agreed to help me in my task, suggested trying the Navy’s minimum standard 2.5 kilometre run ......."

Press-ganged into getting fit with the Royal Naval Reserves, GERAINT THOMAS has agreed to record his pain in a regular column. | South Wales Evening Post

2. 2.4km. But then when does the media bother with petty details.

3. The pain goes on for Swansea reporter Geraint Thomas

"The Royal Naval Reserves in Swansea have carried out more tests on me than they would an alien caught splashing down off Gower.

Last week it was a timed 2.4km run – failed so spectacularly they ironically nicknamed me Jabba the Hutt – and this week it was all gym-based.

Royal Naval Reserve diver Simon Morgans, 35, volunteered to throw me in the deep end as it were. Navy divers have to be very fit – he told me that they have to train to make a 30 minute tank of oxygen last 45 minutes; I told him I could polish it off in under five minutes if I ran."

The pain goes on for Swansea reporter Geraint Thomas | South Wales Evening Post

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014