Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Lookinout, Nov 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,
    I've just nipped over from ARRSE with a question. At a funeral I got talking to a very drunk guy who was keen to tell me that his uncle who is navy[but not marine] , attended with 3 of his mates all S.B.S. Apparantly they arrived and left by helo that no one saw. Question is, do many non marine navy do S.B.S.?
    Ta :thumright:
  2. If the guy was drunk and no one saw the helo then it was either one of those new stealth helos with alien cloaking technology ... or perhaps his uncle is just a bit of a Walt. It is pretty unlikely that a member of the SFs would bragg about it since their life might depend on it and even more unlikely that a member of HMF would be allowed to use a helo to go anywhere other than for official purposes. It doesn't look good on the front page of the Sun.

To answer your question, they will naturally pick the best people for the job. I suspect that means that they will look at a wide range of personnel to fill their ranks.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Welcome to Rum Ration.

A stealth helicopter to/from a funeral?

Forget it, a good dit by a pissed matelot though - we're a bit renowned for those I'm afraid. :thumright:
  4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Not many, if at all would be my guess. There may well be some advisers there on the diving/ submersible side of life.

I think he was telling a few drink induced porkies. Makes a change from working at the broken biscuit factory or being a dolphin trainer.
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, I'd go along with the fact there would be one or two RN Divers seconded to the SBS, if only to check that all mirrors in hostile territory are working correctly & suitably fitted at eye-level. The RN Divers are of little use when conducting house clearance drills as they have to turn sideways to get their "mah-hoosive" shoulders through the doorways, which is always problematic. :dwarf:
  6. A helo that no-one saw?? Damn, it must be the SBS!!!! Whisper mode.....
    Tip-How do you know someone is in the SAS? They'll tell you, at least fifteen times in the first half hour of meeting them. :rambo:

There are naval personnel that work with the SBS, in jobs or skill areas that they cannot fill in, eg comms, boats, maint, diving, aviation etc and some civvies too, can-man, chefs etc. Depending on their level of forward deployment they may be all arms trained, some even go through selection, and some CT where required for a specific job like cold weather, jungle. But these would be only a handful of individuals, and you can bet they would be shtum no matter how pissed up. As for meeting them at a funeral?

Like Blobs said, I think the dolphin trainer dit works better, although (in the dit) I was a regular garden variety RN diver who went to Florida to learn how to train the dolphins using special underwater dolphin friendly tuna..... (and yes I have pulled using it... :oops: )
  7. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

I did an MCT exercise in the late 90's and there was one RN guy there who was a fully fledged member of the SBS. He was fcuking nails as well.

Arrived and left by helo? Yeah right, and I maintain and clean traffic lights for a living! :thumright:
  8. Where abouts?
  9. Both the SAS and SBS are open to all Arms of the Armed Forces, so it is theoretically possible for RN, RM, Army or even (god forbid) RAF personnel to move into these two elite regiments.
  10. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

Eh? Where I clean traffic lights?

At road junctions mainly!
  11. If someone tells you he's in the SBS / SAS - then straight away, you know he isn't ! They wouldn't be in it if they did that. Brings to mind Tuggs cartoon of a girl standing by the QM while he makes the pipe. "Chef that flies the helicopter, visitor, gangway." :)
  12. I remember being in mid Atlantic (South) when the frog squad arrived .. Nearest land was days away so no way they tipped up on a helo - stealth / whisper or anything similar like a Junglie! Word had it they jumped out the back of a Hercy bird at some collosal height and came down on Oxygen! Crazeee people!

13. Forget the stealth of the SBS/SAS I give you the traffic light cleaner/guardian did you know there are more astronauts and Concorde pilots than traffic light cleaners due to the strenous training undertaken. Next time you pass a light remember that!

14. The traffic is not always necessarily one way. I know of one bootneck and one SBS bloke who made the tranfer over into boats in the early sixties. Regarding the latter I agree that he was never entirely forthcoming about where he had been or what he had done. which was to be expected but that was the buzz. He was however always selected for liaison with any SBS/SAS team who ever had occasion to be aboard and spent lots of time with them which simply put the seal of approval on his earlier credentials for rest of the crew.

Also remember one guy in boats who went over to the SBS on a permanent basis and he was not a diver or comms but just a naturally hard case stoker as I recall. As has been said earlier, entry to special forces is open to all arms of the Forces and it's a fact that sometimes even mere mortals make the cut. The drunk at the funeral with the loose lips was talking about his uncle and not about himself so it's maybe just possible.The bit about the buddies and the helo obviously have to be porkies added for spice to his burbling dit.

Red Sailor

:thumright: Happiness is being underway and underwater :thumright:
  15. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

It must be true! Has no-one seen the first episode of "Ultimate Farce" when the Newbie trooper went back home and settled his difference with his Dad and gave him a smack, before being extracted by his oppos in a Gazelle? It was in colour an' evryfink.. 8O
  16. Ninja_Stoker

Do the SAS do the ones at pelican crossings then?
  17. When I did selection (mid 80's) there was a CPO Clearance Diver on there with about 15 other Marines. He was a big strong guy (He'd done field gun), but a bit older than the rest of us. Unfortunately he didnt get to the second (diving aquaint week) as the phys on the yomping, running, upper body strength, canoeing, cardiovascular week saw him and 9 of the other marines either quit, get injured or binned.

The DS had a lot of respect for the guy but I think at 33 ish he was probably about 6 to 7 yers too late.

18. Bollocks Norman
  19. Bet you've got the 'Special Edition' boxed set of series one. :thumright:
    Grant from Eastenders is the Lewis Collins of the 00's, acts about as well too.
  20. Just out of curiosity would you retain your naval rank if you passed selection or would you be under the RM structure? there was a rumor from a TA SAS bloke that you had to start as a private / 2nd Lt. but that your previous rank was kept on strength at whatever Regiment/ arm of service you came from anyone know? :scratch: