Russia's latest submarine

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Ageing_Gracefully, Aug 22, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

2. Just pinged it, nothing in the mainstream press. Plausible
  3. Ageing_Gracefully

Seems like Putin is increasing his military and naval capacity. Still, we have nothing to worry about as our politicians are ensuring that we have a large enough navy to cover all scenarios.
  4. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

An old hull with potential to do some stuff. Just because we don't do it like for like doesnt mean that the UK necessarily can't do it...
  5. We couldn't even do it with a surface vessel, hence the white elephant that was HMS Challenger.
  6. Had a look round Challenger Pompey Navy Days late 80's , what happened to her Spi ?
  7. Purple_twiglet

She was pulled after Options for change, and rotted in 3 Basin for a while. Last I'd heard of her she was working in Namibia as a diamond recovery vessel based out of (IIRC) Walvis Bay.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. The initial idea of a Seabeds Operations Vessel was total bollocks and even during the conception phase the divers were telling the head shed it was a crap idea and a waste of money, we had a brills boat called the Clansman which was civvy crewed but RN Divers and was cheap as feck..anyway after the head shed spent 80 millions on it, it was commissioned in 84,we tried getting it to work properly for about 4 years before finally conceding it was a heap of crap, they sold it for peanuts in 1990 to some Nigerian mining company sucking diamonds off the sea floor.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Purple_twiglet

If you believe 'late night in the bar' type chat, there are some who claim she was our version of the Glomar Explorer...
  10. Not sure of the claims, but her planned role was the recovery of items from the seabed... be that downed aircraft or collecting "stuff".
  11. I have seen footage of the Delta class SSBNs and they are huge in submarine terms. I don't know how being the biggest boats ever built suits them to covert work of any kind but you can be sure that our cousins across the pond know what is going on. Being old boats will make them very noisy as bringing them up to date in noise reduction would cost a great deal more than what has been quoted for the refit costs. A noisy boat is a detectable and trackable boat so I've no doubt it will be watched carefully.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Probably similar in concept to how the USN converted several of their Ohio SSBNs to 'multipurpose' SSGNs. They also have the USS Jimmy Carter, a 'bespoke' Seawolf SSN! ;)

13. I think you'll find Typhoon's were the biggest boats ever built. Converting a Delta IV for an experimental role to see how it works is entirely plausible though.

Typhoon has a displacement of >40,000t, twice the size of the Invincible!!
  14. Purple_twiglet

Random fact on Typhoon - their war role was to go to sea, vanish for a year then look for signs of life a year later and wipe it out. The boats had a mini sauna in and other 'luxuries' by soviet standards with the intention of ensuring 'victory' as it were in the event of a war.

The Russians do things very differently to us.
  15. if you google the Typhoon there's a website with phot's inside it. All looks a bit 60's technology but there are arcade games machines onboard to keep the yoof happy.
  16. Thicko skimmer here , why two nuc reactors ? ,
  17. Ageing_Gracefully

As a totally non nautical chap, I would have thought it is to enable one reactor to be shut down without having to surface thus retaining the raison d'etre of a submarine.
  18. The US tried it with the Triton. To get the power without the diameter?
  19. Having read the article again..... with the removal of the ICBM's there would be quite a bit of spare space for second reactor / sneaky op's stuff.
  20. In basic terms a Typhoon is two submarine hulls welded together side by side. Each hull has its own reactor and each reactor drives one shaft i.e. it is a twin shafted vessel. I'll stand by to be corrected but I think it is unlikely that either reactors would be shut down while at sea other than in emergency.
    I still think it is a poor choice of vessel for covert work.
    • Like Like x 1