Russian trawlers........ remember them?

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by SONAR-BENDER, Feb 28, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does this photo bring back memories.

Thought you might get a smile out of this, if you haven't already seen it. And they're still a bunch of pesky little shits even though they are no longer communists. Their recent veto of the UN resolution to intervene in Syria showed their true colours. Ditto the Chinese, of course.

This is a photo of a Russian 'fishing trawler' in dry dock. This is one of the peaceful group

of fishermen we passed every time we entered or left Falane or Plymouth on patrol.

[​IMG]

Now, let's zoom in under the nose of this same ship.

[​IMG]

How about that. A sonar dome and 2 torpedo tubes.

Yes, a peaceful Russian / Soviet fisherman.

Nothing to see here.

COLD WAR my ass.
    Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. Could mean a lot of the stories you heard in messes were true.............!

2. No pictures ????????????

3. Glad I wasn't the only one!

4. Nope none here.

5. wal

wal Badgeman

SB get it sorted Some of them there trawlers had well fit women onboard. the one in Suva back in the 60s had two.

6. fish1.jpg fish2.jpg I think these might be the chaps chaps

7. Aaaaargh - wot happened to my piccies?

And thanks Biggles - that's them! Scarey huh?

8. Damn.... Sneaky buggers!

9. So they are torpedo tubes and not a "caterpillar drive" system then?

10. Stopwatch and grease pencil at the ready.....

11. "One Ping"

12. Sod the 'one ping'.

Weapon away, torpedo in the water!!!!!

13. Spearfish at the ready - stand by to surface and machine gun the survivors!

• Like Like x 1
  14. I often wondered how they used to sling the nets over the sides with all those aerials in the way, now I know. Sonar to detect the fish and they open the bow caps and scooped the fish in.....torpedo tubes my arse!!!

• Like Like x 4
  15. Actually, the order was 'Single Ping' followed by an arse clenching period while we (I as maintainer!) waited to see if the beast (2001) would do as it was asked! If it didn't go, I merely told the skipper it was cycling through and hoped to all the gods it would transmit the second time!

Happy days!

16. Being a skimmer I had 2031Z to nurture - "Fast" Fourier Transform my ar5e
    Pingless of Plymouth

17. Trawler aka AGI, and the Malin Head AGI had a minor altercation with an "O" boat :violent1: the result was one badly damaged conning tower and one AGI sinking!! The Daily Mirror got hold of the story and the picture of the conning tower as the "O" boat couldn't enter 11 dock due to the gate jamming :wtf:, picture was supplied by a member of the public who was on a Fanny Boat. Happy days.

18. Remember in 82, (date ring any bells?) When the Malin Head AGI, (Okean) was replaced by a Prymori class.

Shenanigans afoot. April I believe!!!! Mmmmmmmm

19. Embarrassment mode {ON} From an ex - skimmer, what is the significance between the two types of AGI?

20. Very simply the Okean was an old converted trawler more adept at monitoring surface comms and movements. The Prymori was a brand new, Circa 1980, state of the art purpose build intelligence gathering capabilities with a superb underwater comms setup!

Okean Class

[​IMG]

Prymori Class

[​IMG]