Russian Soviet-Era Arctic Base to Re-open

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by blueschill, Sep 7, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm sure there will be a lot of countries who are uneasy regarding this either because of the oil, or it's military implications given current relations with Russia and the rest of the world.

I think this reinforces the fact that our own Navy desperatly needs to have a large cash injection and become a priority for our government, we need to be able to defend our selves if the time ever comes.

I don't know a lot about his base but I'm sure someone could tell me about it on here it's its overall military implications.
    It sounds like escalation and preparation to me rather than exploration.

What are your thoughts on this guys?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/16/us-russia-arctic-idUSBRE98F0VX20130916

http://rt.com/news/154028-arctic-russia-ships-subs/

2. They are already amongst us here. We did a RNA collection day in Huntingdon yesterday and got chatting to a Ukrainian fella, he said there are lots of Russians over here on fake Ukrainian passports, he also believed many are Russian military, so back to the old days!

When I joined up it was all watch out for the commies, then the IRA, then the Muslim Fundamentalists. It seems we have gone full circle and we are the only ones reducing our military.

BTW we raised £278.50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  3. They'll be buying back that house in Clynder again!

I'll expain later to those that don't get it!

4. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Just where is this base? had a go on the web & couldn't find it.

5. Go due north of Japan until you are inside the Arctic Circle.

6. Seaweed, do you mean you can't find the Novosibirsk Islands,(New Siberian Islands), or just that you can't find a Naval Base on the islands?
    If it's the latter, neither can I - not using Google Earth anyway.
    Here's a link just in case:

[​IMG]

7. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I couldn't find the islands - only a town called Novo... deep into Siberia. Thanks for the pointer. Got Kotelny island up on Google Earth - next question - where is this base so we can use Google earth to spy on Putin?

8. She's a LFS draft...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. All the info I heard of was that it is said to be on the far-northern New Siberian Islands that was abandoned in 1993.

I'll have a look tonight on my pc and join the serach for you Seaweed :)
    I'd be interested to see if it can be seen, I suppose if it's been abandoned since 93 it maybe difficult to spot, there is sold airstrip there that's frozen over so that might be something to look out for when searching for it.

They are going via ice breakers though so I should assume it is all deeply frozen over which might make the airstrip invisible maybe.