Russian Navy, History Channel

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by angry_mac, Jun 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone watched this, been duty weekend a few times and this seems to be on loop on the history channel. Actually its a good few hours of tele. Although they have dragged out some Commander RN who waxes lyrical about how much of a threat they are. Oh come on, Russians a threat, dont think so.
    I was on the Sheff when we shadowed the Kutzsnetov from Gib to Murmansk. Not capable of jack shit really. Makes you wander, did our lords and masters big up the supposed threat just to get more cash from treasury.

2. I can remember shadowing many a Soviet Warship, in particular new classes when they first came out into the open oceans. I also can recall a quote when I was serving on the London (DLG) that it could keep half a dozen of the Soviet Navies best ships at bay. Apparently most of the crew were technicians and scientists.

Regards, Chris

3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Angry_Mac: Both of us know, from a previous post in the Med, what the damn Russkies were up to..! :wink:
  4. Ivan used to like trying his new toys out in the Med in the 70s - for a Guzz based SSN, we seemed to spend a lot of time out there. If I could tell it all, I'd probably have to shoot myself - pity, some classic dits to be spun about those times.