Russia vs Ukraine

Jacobus

War Hero
Well, it ain't Barbarossa, but it's big compared to Chechenya, so he goes down in history / rebuilds USSR (always his ambition)... Certainly he sees that he COULD do it - as he knew (and we all know) that Europe / USA wasn't ready to go to war over Ukraine. (Wonder how different the world might have felt though if there had been no Gulf 2.0 + Afghanistan?) There has to be an element of madness too - a man who's lost sight of the normal measures on behaviour. (Too long as the only power, and did you see the way he treated his ministers?) And some fear of losing it? But all in all - grim news.

Jacobus

War Hero
Putin’s proclaimed as the great chess player - but even if he believes that life is a zero sum game, surely he sees that Russia as a country is also going to lose by taking on this new headache. Especially when he could have had all/any of the benefits without attacking the entire country. And returning Russia to absolute pariah status. Next one to watch, now the process has been demonstrated, is of course Taiwan. Only plus is that I don’t live in Asia anymore.

Waspie

War Hero
Putin’s proclaimed as the great chess player - but even if he believes that life is a zero sum game, surely he sees that Russia as a country is also going to lose by taking on this new headache. Especially when he could have had all/any of the benefits without attacking the entire country. And returning Russia to absolute pariah status. Next one to watch, now the process has been demonstrated, is of course Taiwan. Only plus is that I don’t live in Asia anymore.
I bet China is looking on and thinking - if they can we can! Next stop Taiwan.

Worse case scenario is if the two form an alliance!!!

Ballistic

War Hero
I bet China is looking on and thinking - if they can we can! Next stop Taiwan.

Worse case scenario is if the two form an alliance!!!
Remember that meeting (Ras)Putin had with China just before the Winter Olympics?

Wonderful opportunity for China while the West is distracted...

Didn`t he also make a nuclear threat? If anybody sticks their nose in he would release things that the world has never seen, or words to that effect,

fishhead

War Hero
Putin put his troops into bat on what looked to be an easy wicket. He had command of one of the best teams in the world while the opposition were mere minnows who would surely roll over at first sight of his fast bowlers. While he swaggered around pre-match showing off his team doing warm-up friendlies with neighbouring sides his likely opposition were working out a strategy to combat his attack in such a way that a whitewash was now unlikely. The final result may not be known for some time yet as while the first team batting may get the upper hand by virtue of their power but when the 2nd team get their turn at the crease they will look to sneak easy singles and exploit the size of the pitch to make what looked like an easy win a long protracted affair. The supporters of the Putin team may begin to wonder if the hoped for gains were worth the cost.

Latest Threads