Russia buys FRENCH Warship

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by WhizzbangDai, Aug 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It would have to be an extremely modified version given the enormous technology transfer issues.
  2. Is the MOD doing the procurement. Just waiting to see the price spiral upwards :wink:
  3. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Interesting. I think the point about what this says for the shift in Russian military thinking is the most significant - expeditionary capability, now where would they want to use that..........
  4. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

In the Black Sea I think, Silver; for adventures in the Caucasus where the West can't influence things. Lots of oil there.
  5. The Frogs never have a problem with selling military equipment to whosoever has the shekels to pay for it.
    When the British government took the moral high ground about arms sales to South Africa in the late sixties/early seventies, the frogs leapt into the sales gap that we had left, supplying whatever the South african defence forces wanted.
    I could never understand how submarines and supersonic jet fighters could reinforce the policy of apartheid.
  6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Exocet? :oops:
  7. Sgt, now be fair they did stop selling them once it was apparent they'd actually be used in anger. And we aren't exactly blameless, the Argies used British 500Ibs bombs against us. Which, I think you'll agree is even worse
  8. The telex's cancelling my export licences for Argentina were on my desk on the Monday after the invasion and were dated the 2nd.
  9. Didn't say we didn't stop selling once war was going, i'm just saying its not fair to blame just the French. I quite like the French. Sometimes. They made my first car, for example.
  10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I'm sure that's great comfort to our wounded and the families of the dead... 8O
  11. Now don't wilfully take what I said the wrong way. You knew how I meant that comment.
  12. :whdat: :banned:

f*cking french kisser
  13. Also Type 42s. They tested against them to find the limitations of its radar which helped them sink 2 of ours.
  14. Ugly looking spud!!! isnt she. Very much akin to Hms Ocean, imho one of the most uglest looking carriers, i have everseen. Whats going on in the heads of these Naval Designers/Architects :roll: Ps Sir Nigel Gresley, could have taught them a thing or to :lol: :lol:
  15. Not entirely representative, a couple of reputable authors have discussed the SIS operation to buy up the available stock and disrupt the supply chain. The French were still selling them although they were reasonably amenable to selling them to the UK instead.
  16. Yep.

Another of RumRation's myths which can't be fixed by facts; the French were bastards for selling the Argentines Exocet. We'd never do a thing like that.

So the fact that this thread (if the interweb had been around in the early 1980s) could be titled Argentina buys BRITISH warship is particularly ironic.

To be filed with the other cracking RR myth - also Falklands related.

"The Conservatives are the party of the Navy. Margaret Thatcher loved the Service."

Despite the fact that she tried to destroy the Navy in the 1981 Defence Review as part of her ridiculous defence cost-cutting exercise; an event which in itself helped give the Argentinians confidence to invade the islands, and thus indirectly cost the lives of a number of service personnel.
  17. They could have then commisioned Sir Willian Stanier to refine it for them!

Regards Ivan buying Frog Kit (that's a point; anyone remember Novo); if he then "reverse engineers" it, who's going to stop him?
  18. The russkies will have to fumigate the ship first in a big way!been on one and it minged quite a bit.
    The French may have stopped selling the Exos after the Falklands started but it was because of Thatcher pressure at that time.
    A question of stop it or trade embargos will be put in place,they stopped it, but I remember seeing news clips of the cheering workman in an Exocet factory when it was announced an Exo had hit a UK warship.
    I have no time for them nor them for us.Suits me
  19. It was'nt so much that the French sold or even stopped selling Exocet after the invasion, its the fact that the French engineers stayed behind and made sure the S/Etendards would be able to launch them.
    This is one Jack who dos'nt forgive or forget!