Runs Ashore

Grenadier

Midshipman
Please excuse my ignorance , im just wondering if there is a relatively typical amount of runs ashore you will get during a 4 month deployment ? Im asking as i join as an apprentice in September and im renting out my flat and wondering about clothes i should keep and what i should box up , i appreciate it will be different for various deployments , just trying to get a feel thats all , thanks in advance!

Seadog

War Hero
There
I
appreciate it will be different for various deployments ...
You’ve answered your own question. You think you’re going into Las Vegas* for a 30 day stand down, ironing your civvies when the old man summons all Heads of Department to his cabin. Uh oh!

* I know.

Random

Lantern Swinger
Please excuse my ignorance , im just wondering if there is a relatively typical amount of runs ashore you will get during a 4 month deployment ? Im asking as i join as an apprentice in September and im renting out my flat and wondering about clothes i should keep and what i should box up , i appreciate it will be different for various deployments , just trying to get a feel thats all , thanks in advance!
Are you aware that only Officers wear uniforms outside working hours when on ship? so think about clothes that you will be wearing around your cabin and down the crew mess/bar as well.

As Seadog hinted ships programs change, often dramatically, you think you are going to the Middle East via the Med, but reality after the closed door huddle of the HODs, you are all off to hunt subs north of iceland in the ice and snow.

Think layering for temp changes and stuff that one day can look smart with little effort for a visit to a restaurant with your mates, and on another wont make you stand out in a biker bar listening to ACDC. Oh and dont overpack, you can always buy extra clothes, but humping all your gear around the world on public transport can be a pain!

Seadog

War Hero
An RFA was recently turned around in sight of Devonport, families on the jetty ( perhaps exaggerated for effect ).

There was an urgent operational need elsewhere. I sense though that the excitement was compensation for the Ship’s Company.