Runs ashore in 1's?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by karskin, Sep 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is aimed at the matelots of years gone by.

When you guys went on a run ashore, were you allowed to wear your 1's? I always seem to read about you guys going out and pulling in your best rig and so on. I only ask because nowadays we aren't allowed to wear rig on runs ashore...instead we have to go out in the chino brigade :roll: I always thought we'd be allowed to.

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm, you've already mentioned that you passed your AIB to join up as Aircrew, and now you're asking about going ashore in rig... I think you've confirmed why the rest of the Fleet think Pilots are egocentric, self-obsessed poseurs. You'll go far! :roll: :thumbleft:

3. It was compulsory for JR's in Toulon in around '79/'80, allegedly to see who was fighting who as there were loads of navies in. Not sure if it was mandatory in Newcastle around the same era, but highly recommended for JRs again.

Other than civic reception type things which spilled over into nearby boozers that's about it as far as I remember.

Edit: Didn't notice the chinos (therefore officer) bit. No chance. The 'high spirits' they get away with in the wardroom, which would get the rest of us mere mortals jailed, would be to much of an embarrassment to the Navy.

4. Good grief who'd wanna wear that bag of tat ashore!

5. The uniform is half the fun of joining up 8)

6. Really?

7. I joined in 65 and uniform was not compulsory after training.

Except, draft from one ship to another, going on leave AND draft.

Or foreign countries including South Africa.
    The reason for wearing them on draft's or leave and draft was so you could have no excuse not to have Rig when you arrived. :wink:

Edited to say that Plain clothes were still a Privilege and not an entitlement.

8. If I remember correctly, we had to wear No.1s when on a courtesy visit, especially the first day. That was great for trapping and grippos.

In places like Gib or Singapore we went ashore in civvies. That was for the better because the locals were far too used to Jack.

9. You refere of course to the Thousand miler and jeans. 8O :D :wink:

10. Why not? Your in amazing career, and you get to look great at the same time! :)

11. When I joined, in 1952, the first thing we had to do after our kit was issued, was parcel up our civvy clothes,
    including socks and underwear, and send them home. Thenceforth, EVERY ITEM, of clothing we wore was Pusser's issue. All runs ashore were in uniform, and everyone was inspected by the OOW on each liberty boat,
    (even on shore establishments, where libertymen were fallen in for inspection, and marched out of the gate to board a bus). The inspection was real, many were sent back to their messes to correct faults, and then re-inspected on the next "liberty boat".
    The situation started to ease in 1955, when civvy clothes were officially allowed to be carried in shore establishments, but we were still inspected before proceeding ashore. In 1956 I picked up my hook, and was then allowed the privilege of "free gangway". Sometime between then and 1963, when I joined Penelope,
    civvies were allowed to be carried by Junior Rates serving afloat.
    So the short answer to your question is "Yes".
    Personally I always wore the rig for preference, even when civvies were allowed, but you must realize that we lived in a different era. We were mainly wartime or pre-war babies, and in wartime over half the population were in uniform of one sort or another. During my pre-service years as an air cadet, it was not uncommon to see groups of uniformed teenagers quietly enjoying themselves, and, horror of horrors, even frequenting public houses! No one worried about binge drinking in those days. As a sixteen year old on my first leave, I was often taken out for a couple of pints, by members of my family, it was considered to be a rite of passage.
    I never heard of a publican refusing to serve a man (boy) in uniform!

Happy days.

2BM

12. I will be ashore on Sunday night in my No1s as deemed by command in our affiliated town

13. Thats true. I still miss that feeling of pride when Putting on that uniform and going ashore, it felt great

14. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

...well for me, this is a job, not a way of life. I wear my uniform (in all its variants) for all hours of the day and only when necessary, and cannot wait to get if off as soon as possible.

15. I know the feeling :wink:

16. 2BM has got it about right. Most shore establishments and ships alongside had "Free Gangway" at some time after the liberty boat. From memory, the pipes were: "Libertymen Fall In" and later on "Free Gangway is now open". However, the OOD was often at the main gate or gangway to pounce on those he thought were incorrectly dressed.

17. Theres always one who`s different isnt there and thats me,it was a way of life for me and i loved it,when i left in 1990 i was so fed up and misserable that i was quite impossible to live with, 8)

18. Depends on where you are and what your C.O says but Ortificers usually have to wear the chino rig

19. You'll soon get over that bloody silly idea. Once you've worn your nos 1s out on a rig run a couple of times the novelty will wear off. You'll just want to go out and blend in with the crowd.

My first rig runs came towards the end of part one training, the first in Torpoint and the second up Albert Road in Guzz. On my first ship I had a couple of rig runs, one in Sunderland and one when we out in Jordan. My only other rig run after that was in New York around the mid-90s.

As SPB says, wearing uniform all day, it's good to get out of it when you finish work. Going out on a rig run is ok occasionally, but not all the time. Once you've done it a couple of times and have got the photos for posterity you'll get fed up of doing it. The only other reason for going out in rig is for the phots for the cheesy recruitment brochures.

20. :p My experiences to the letter :lol: Except that I never picked up a hook. :twisted: