Running Techniques....

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by 94seldCO, Jun 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. heya..
    just wondering if anyone has any good running techniques to help increase 1.5 time and increase general ability to run faster and longer distance.. types of training..fartlec ..continuous..other?...i have no idea??. last bit is it bad to carry water when running long distances or would... it be best to make sure you drink plenty before and after. my running isnt too bad im pretty comfortable but i would like to get even better so i have every chance to pass the 1.5 at raleigh anf increase my fitness more...
    any tips id be v. grateful
    cheers:D

2. fatlec :D sweet :D (Y)
    thanks

3. Go on you tube, there are heaps of trainng methods, gym work outs etc where running is concerned, cause i have just been watching them.

Training

4. thanks :D im on it (Y)

5. Join your local running club. They'll get you used to running, and all the good ones will have a structured, yet varied, training progamme.

6. just been on you tube the vid aint too bad will look properly tomo morn :D
    theres one running club in know of where i live unless i go accross the water and that running club seems alright i shall go talk to them asap!

7. Plenty of threads about this. So I won't bother to repeat all over again.

8. Could've made him/her search for it JJ :lol:

9. I was feeling generous (and I had to search for the bugger aswell). People just do not recognise my genius :D

10. Try the left then right approach, always served me well

11. ok i have no running styles for you,

i have my PJFT today and what i am going to do is run at a constant pace if you run at 10 mph or faster you will pass the test fine.

(if the machines are in mph that im training on at college then of you run at 13mph then you will make the 7 min mark)

hope that any help to you
    marcus

12. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I find if you move your feet at the same speed as your legs you don't fall over.

Do not try this approach drunk, it can end badly.

13. Going back before the beginning of time I don't remember the following:
    Ever having practiced 'running' before joining up.
    Nor do I remember any of my class mates having done the same.
    Yet we all passed!
    Can someone tell me if the standard has increased that much? This concentration some people have on turning into some kind of olympic athlete has me a tad worried, about the physcology of it I mean.
    Just a thought.

14. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I'm with you there sus, coming soon to a newbies forum.......

"How to breathe"

"How to blink"

"How do I ask stupid questions on the internet?"

15. I also live in Torpoint, there is a running club that runs from the Carbeile most weekday nights, but I like to run solo. Generally I run from my house, which is near Sainsburys, out to Anthony and back which is exactly 5 miles,(route is Horson straights) I do this 5 times a week. All in all I managed to knock a minute off my time.

16. Whilst I agree with you to an extent, it may be worth pointing out that 'running' as a discipline is one of the only sporting pass-times that is not taught as a matter of course. If you take up fishing, fencing, bowling etc., you generally join a club and get taught the finer points. We take up running by leaving the house and, without an understanding for core balance and muscle stretching, we just hit the pavement. As a result it is no surprise that 80% of runners experience at least one injury a year. Many other sporting disciplines (which include running as part of it) do not suffer from this attrition rate.

The US army recruit centres teach running (pose technique actually) to recruits struggling with their times or excessive injuries. This is a list of qualified running instructors on their staff:
    http://www.posetech.com/mil/army/running/instructors/pose-running-instructors.html

We are way behind on this.

17. That's about my take on it as well. However I do understand the point of a discipline, a sporting one.
    My doctor has an interesting take on this modern trend of disciplined sports, especially as regards the footware they use. His bottom line is that in 20 years half of them will be more or less crippled. Why? because modern shoes allow you to put far more stress on yourself than you would otherwise do; they, the shoes, conceal the damage being done.
    When you did cross country in a pair of pussers Mk1 plimsolls you knew exactly what you were doing and when to ease up, unless you were, like myself, daft.
    Right! I'm off to hobble to the pub.
    ps the sooner 'mummy' is put out of the question and young people are forced to become independent the better; purely and utterly IMHO of course.

18. Spot on. Since the 70s, when the first padded-heel sports shoes were invented by Nike, there has been an increase in injury rates of runners in line with increased thicknes/padding of the heel area. Interestingly this is when the 'heel-toe' technique was developed, which made people reliant on specific types of footwear.

The book, 'Born to Run' goes in to this in greater depth and it is a fascinating read. I think Tommo has read it aswell.

19. Time will tell as indeed it has with myself. I could hardly manage the London marathon this year :roll: