Running motivation while training. Look out for "Park Run".

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by turneround90, Mar 14, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Afternoon all,

I've followed this forum for a while now, never made a post (until this one) but have found out a lot of useful information overtime regarding my Navy application from some of the posts made by its users. So I thought it was time that I would finally share something with you that may help your training, and especially your running times.

I came across a event recently at my local park called "Park Run" on a Saturday morning at 9am. It is a free running event, available all around the UK (could be at a park near you) and even internationally. All it requires is just signing up a few details beforehand online, printing off a barcode pass and then your ready to start running and recording your results.

The distance of the run at my local park was 3.1 miles/5k (could be different at other locations), this distance is perfect for my training plan and pushing myself running (which I try to do at least once a week) to help meet the fitness requirements which I expect soon in my Navy fitness tests/PEDA.

I usually try and run 3 times a week, always usually alone, which I don't mind doing but every now and again I find its sometimes good to running with someone else/ or in this case against someone else. The beauty of my local Park Run was that nearly 250 people (of all abilities) turned up that morning. Amongst these was many running enthusiasts and members to local running clubs. So I knew I could push myself running against some experienced runners.

The concept works very well, when you sign up you get a barcode pass which then is used to record your time at the finish. ( a similar way used in most running events).
    It turned out after my first run I finished in 16th place with a time of 19:17 which I was pretty pleased with. Within two hours yours times and race results are posted online to view.
    I already now look forward to doing the same next week and hope to improve my time. The atmosphere was great, I really enjoyed it (rather than just running alone), Its free (unlike most other running events) and I could really push myself against some very experienced local runners. First place came in with a time of 15:52. (I have a while to go yet, to keep up with him)

Anyway I hope this may help some of you with your training, it definitely is going to help and motivate me. A great way to mix up your normal training routine.

Here is the link to the website: and hopefully you have a location near you.
    Last edited: May 25, 2015
  2. I am a run director for my local "parkrun" at PlymValley parkrun in Plymouth.

These free events are great either running in them or volunteering as a marshal.

Edited to say it's not just national but international.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. I have been to park run 3 times now since this post and I have improved my 3 mile time each time I have gone

1st time: 19:17
    2nd: 19:05
    3rd (last weekend): 18:33

I definitely recommend anyone trying to improve there 3 mile time to find a local park run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Great times well done
  5. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Big fan of park run, just wish it started an hour later :)
  6. You're too old for the Junior parkrun which is on Sunday's at 10am :p
    • Like Like x 2
  7. This is brilliant! I get bored so quickly with running, hopefully this will give me more motivation.

Thanks turneround!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. This is such a great idea! I hate running and find it so hard to motivate myself, just signed up!
  9. Tommo, youve gone quiet? Anymore run blogs to read?
  10. I've been on holiday/ training in Kos. I might write about the runs in the mountains I did not sure yet. Next event is 30th ;):)
  11. I had the runs in the mountains once. Fortunately I found a large Scots Pine to go behind but the heather was little rough on my farmers.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Boom boom tish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. Cheers for the insight, I never knew about this! I've had a look and there's a 5k one down the road from me. I like other don't have the motivation to run, especially on my own but after checking out the local club I'll definitely be seen there one Saturday morning.