Running, Foods and weight

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by jonesys_goingtobeasailor, Nov 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Basically at my medical the doctor said I was a fatty! i eat healthy, rarely drink and am in the gym often.

So I need some advice on how to loose weight but also how im gunna get my mile and a half time down without gaining muscle.

I shall await with baited breath for the abuse to come! :D
  2. By the sound of it mate Jonesy may not be becomming a sailor.

Back to the point.

I suggest perhaps you re-examine your diet if your training hard and still not losing weight. Doing half an hours phys per day and then eating a pie and drinking a can of coke isnt going to sort the problem out.

Perhaps people could give an opinion if you post your weekly training regime and then maybe we could give a few tips in that direction.
  3. Don't worry about gaining muscle, if the doc sees that you have a BMI of 30, but a waist smaller than your bicep then they can let you pass. :p

I used this to help me lose 2.5 stone.

My fitness schedule was swim 1km each morning weekdays. Football 6 hrs per week. Running 7 miles per week. I was eating around 3500 per day cals during this time, it's important to make sure you only have a deficit of 500 cals per day.

PM me if you want some more advice.
  4. Leave the meat alone and saturated fats when buying ready cooked foods look at the saturated fat content.
  5. If you take in more than your put out then you'll gain weight.
    If you take in less than you put out then you'll lose weight.

Therefore exercise more, eat less - and eat better quality too. Eating healthily isn't rocket science - we all know what is good and what is bad. And lay off the booze.

If you're just running then you are unlikely to put on significant amounts of muscle.
  6. Ditch the car, get a bike.

Before I joined up I had been doing three paper rounds every morning on a battered old bmx, fit? I could've been a fcukin' booty!
  7. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

On food, most of it is common sense.

Avoid processed foods.

Avoid high fat food eg. hard cheese

Avoid anyhting that could be described as rubbish / junk food (pies, chips, chocolate, sweets, crisps, fizzy pop, also unfortunately beer).

Try not to over eat.

Try to avoid too much carbohydrate, particularly bread but also pasta, rice, potatoes, don't cut them out entirely just cut down and if necessary replace with non starchy veg and lean meat.

Drink plenty of water.

Do lots of cardio, avoid lifting weights for the moment, for muscle do excercises that use your own weight eg. push ups, sit ups, squats, pulls.

Good luck from a reformed fat knacker.
  8. Is there an echo in here??? :roll:
  9. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer echo in here???
  10. obviously it would be difficult to stop eating practically everything you enjoy. Just cut out the fatty sugary foods etc and eat them in moderation. With regards to running the best advice i could give would be keep running, but include fartlek and interval sessions into your programme, another bit of advice with regards to shedding some weight would be running early in the morning!
  11. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer plenty of junk food and apply for a job at Maccy Ds...

"Next!" :wink:
  12. Why would you want to go for a run when you can get a taxi, its a lot quicker and easier or invest in one of these

For fat bastards like me

All you got to do is get the tunes banging in the i-pod.
  13. Weightless soup to be used when peckish. Two of many

Singapore Soup

900ml vegetable stock, made from two stock cubes
    1tsp Chinese five spice powder
    1 leek washed and finely chopped
    1 red onion, finely sliced
    1 small red pepper, deseeded and finely sliced
    120g Savoy cabbage finely shredded
    120g mushrooms sliced
    2tsps fresh coriander
    1tbsp light soy sauce
    2tsp sesame seeds
    Salt and pepper[I would use sea salt]

Put the stock, five spice powder, leek and onion into a pan and bring to the boil. Cover and reduce the heat, simmer for ten fifteen minutes. Add the red pepper , cabbage mushrooms and coriander. Cook for a further three minutes. Then season with soy sauce salt and pepper. Ladle into warm bowls sprinkle with sesame seeds and garnish with sprigs of coriander.

One bunch of celery
    Half a onion
    One veg stock cube
    Thirty gms of soft cheese

Let onions fry in oil lightly
    Add celery for a few minutes
    Cover with boiling water
    Add stock cube
    Simmer until celery is soft
    Whisk with blender
    Stir in soft cheese
  14. thanks guys handy hints.

what do you all think about training supplements? personally i think its a cheat but am trying out maximuscle diet thing.