Running before Raleigh

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by pedroliam, Apr 14, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What distance should you ideally be running before you go to Raleigh?
    The 1.5 mile part is easy, but will you do any long runs?

Struggling to find specific information, i do not have a date yet but i want to make sure I can run all the distances with ease.
  2. If you're fit enough to pass the 1.5 mile confidently then you're fit enough to get through training, anything else is a bonus.
    You do a couple long runs, stretcher run being one of the longest, but I never ran more than 3 miles before signing up.

That said the fitter you are, the easier everything is so if you wanna run further then crack on

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  3. Run- time- run- beat last time- repeat

4. At my PRNC debrief I was told I shouldn't really be running any more than 5k (or 3 miles, as suggested above).

A pal of mine is into running much longer distances, he says that you run a much greater risk of injury if you are running further.
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

So they are suggesting that the 36,000 people who completed the London Marathon yesterday are running too far?

I don't doubt someone may have said this, but common sense applies - prevent injuries rather than cure them, granted. The training schedules are based around minimums, not maximums & it is errant nonsense to suggest you can be "too fit".
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I would agree with ninja on this one, if anything personally i think sometimes 5k and lower can run a greater risk as people underlook warming up as they think its just a short run.

7. I do 3 runs a week, now that i am back running after a couple of weeks out. 1 is my best effort 1.5 mile and the other 2 are steady paced higher mileage 5-7 @ 8.40ish a mile. So from the answers above, i can safely say I am running enough. But I am going to increase the mileage.

Would you recommend anything different?
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Just follow the pre joining fitness programme and try to avoid unnecessary risk and take precautions against injury rather than wait for them to happen then try to cure the injury before you join. Shin splints are a common issue - prevent them.

There are a lot of people who injure themselves prior to entry and who get sent home because of it, by playing contact sports, rugby & football in particular, but it would be sending-out mixed messages if we were to suggest you desist playing sports or going on longer runs if you are up for it.
  9. I thought the pre-joining fitness program was slightly outdated ?
  10. Seems really easy too...
  11. That's fair enough. Was only well meaning second hand advice.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. If you have two legs and run rather than roll you will be fine.

13. If you're looking for a challenge, why not try the royal marine training programme instead of the royal navy? This is what I have started doing after also finding the royal navy training programme not challenging enough. The royal marine programme has one running and completing circuits 5/7 days, with two rest days. The runs range between 30-45 minutes depending on the day. Coupled with the body weight circuit training it's quite a cheeky one! Having the basic fitness of a marine recruit may put you in a better condition for phase 1 than having the basic fitness of a navy recruit. At least that's what I'm hoping for!
  14. Where can we find this please?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app
  15. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 1
  16. Royal Marines Commando - Training Tool
    This is where I found it mate. Going straight from training on treadmills for 1.5 mile to this was a deifinite kick in the balls but it's very good.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. The thing I've found helps to increase fitness is, if its comfortable you're not pushing yourself. I was getting bored running at 7.5 - 8mph on the treadmill in intervals so I've started doing all of my running on a 2% incline like the Marine test. There's a Royal Marines Haynes manual that my other half bought me for Xmas which gives you loads of advice and step by steps on how to do every kind of military exercise you could want with alternatives and includes workout plans and diet advice.. Definitely worth a look.

Personally I'm still struggling to run 1.5 in less than 15 mins (!) but I am quite a fit person and live at the gym so I think in just not pushing myself enough. My first timed run was about 17 mins so its coming down slowly..

Push ups is the other one, girly stereotype, I'm improving but not very quickly. I take it women are expected to do full body push ups not on the knees rubbish? And elbows into the sides?

18. Im fit enough for Raleigh just fancied taking it up a notch, I found my fitness improved when I ditched the gym n hit the road. I do circuits at home, no need for a gym. Also I live near the sea and have sand dunes to run on which is an absolute killer!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Try 7min work out app, if not google is a great help.