Running at Raleigh?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by snapdragon, May 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When I last visited my AFCO I was given a training programme to fill in that I should take to Raleigh. Inside you have to write down all the exercise you do in preparation. I have a couple of questions about this, hope someone can shed some light.

I have trained at least once a day every day apart from weekeds for nearly four weeks. The programme is for 8 weeks. Like a daft eejit I started from week one instead of week four. When I was given the booklet, my recruiting officer said 'make up the rest' knowing that I had only four weeks until Raleigh. Shall I make it up? Or leave the rest blank?

Inside I have to put my best run time for the 2.4km run. So far this is 11 minutes and 25 seconds, though it was a bit comfortable and I could have gone faster. I remember my friend who's in the RAF now saying that they group the crabs for running according to how well they do their 2.4km run. The run I've achieved (or could achieve) isn't bad, it's well over my maximum allowed time. But I am no runner! Am I going to get put into a group that's reasonably good at running? Because I don't know how fast I can do it on a track.

How far is the 'distance' run? I can't remember but I think I can remember that I'm supposed to do it an around 50 minutes.

And my left shin really hurts. Grr! :evil:

Thanks!

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Blummin' heck SD, a coupla questions?
    OK here goes:
    1. Just be honest in the Pre Joining Fitness Programme, no point telling porkies as they'll soon suss you out. Leave what you haven't done blank- you will not be penalised for this & anyway you have a reasonable time for the 2.4Km run.
    2. The time allowed for girls under 24 for the 2.4 km run is 13 mins 15 secs, you run this as a free run, not a squad run, you aren't put into groups, but if you're seen "holding back" you will be encouraged to step out the pace. There's no point leaving Raleigh no fitter than you joined.
    3. The distance run is about 3-4 miles (ish) as a squad, it depends on the PTI on the day! There is no set time, the idea is to complete as a squad.
    4. Beware hurty shins- make sure your trainers are extremely well padded on the heel, wear insoles if neccessary. Take rest days. Swimming is a good no-impact CV work-out as is cycling. If it gets worse see your doctor. Don't wear "Street trainers" -they're rubbish.

3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

....and NEVER wear Pusser's-issue Silver Shadows... 8O

4. You have to run in those at Raleigh...

5. [quote="Ninja_Stoker]
    Blummin' heck SD, a coupla questions?[/quote]

No points for maths then? :)

[quote="Ninja_Stoker]Beware hurty shins- make sure your trainers are extremely well padded on the heel, wear insoles if neccessary. Take rest days. Swimming is a good no-impact CV work-out as is cycling. If it gets worse see your doctor. Don't wear "Street trainers" -they're rubbish [/quote]

I've got a pair of New Balance trainers for running in, complete with orthotic insoles. I think the pain's more to do with my poor running technique! I only have one more day of running. I'll probably (reluctantly) opt out of Muay Thai on Thursday. I don't think running around barefoot helps much.

If I did see a doctor (between now and Sunday? You're having a giraffe!), wouldn't that come up in my medical at Raleigh?

Thanks for your help!

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Er, No.

No, the only time a service Doctor sees your civilian Doctors' medical notes about you are when he/she asks, with your written permission, about a specific ailment which you have disclosed to the service Doctor. The civilian Doctor cannot divulge chapter & verse, only specifically what information is requested. In other words they can only ask about what you've told them- no more.

However (here we go...) if your shins are seriously hurting now, you have to ask yourself seriously whether you are going to be able to complete training. If unsure see your GP ASAP. You can always defer your entry until you are 100% ready- there is no shame in this.

Good luck missus :lol:

7. Thanks, you!

My shin isn't seriously hurting- it's a bit of a niggle when I run for any distance. I think after today I will rest (it says the three days prior to joining Raleigh should be rest days anyway). And I think that'll do it a lot of good.
    It's not really an issue, it just needs a touch of rest! And a bath! It seems to be a really common thing with new recruits, doesn't it?