Running, and muscle mass

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by onlinebacon, Oct 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey :)

Some of you may know from my other thread that I'm joining up to the fleet air arm or the royal marines as an officer in two years :D

I have a pretty newbieish question.

Whats the best way to build up stamina, is it just by running, or are there other things i can do to help me run as far as possible as quickly as possible?

And also, whats the best way for a 16 year old to put muscle mass on? I eat loads, and am pretty thin and want to try and build up more muscle before I join, so I can get through the fitness tests etc, I can already do around 30 pushups in a minute but I'm not particularly built, I'm around 6ft and weight like 9 and a half stone :p So its not like i'm pushing much up :D

Thanks lads/ladettes

2. At 16, focus on cardio and eating well.
    Mass isn't something you should really worry about considering you still have 5 years to grow up and out.
    As for stamina, anything cardio, a good idea would be to use your two years and join a JKD / kickboxing / muay thai class, great stamina builders.

Good luck.
  3. bacon your build is exactly the same as mine!

I'm just a couple of months off of joining BRNC and I'm simply doing the gym three times a week. However that is nowhere near enough for the Marines.
    Not that I'd recommend this but one of my mates who is currently a Royal Marines Officer used to go running with a bergen filled with paving slabs... nutter!
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Good advice.

Your best bet for CV & muscle mass is regular swims: non-impact & an excellent all-round workout, the Royal Marines are including more & more swims in recruit training.

Don't even think about power-lifting or body building, keep using small weights & gradually increase frequency (not weight) through reps. Do not use dietry supplements, waste of money.
  5. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Running and using a Concept2 rowing machine work for me. I try and run outdoors in good weather and when its too bad I stick to a treadmill and my favourite torture a long session on the rower. Try and hour on that and see how far you get at a steady pace then keep trying to beat that - I found it helps the mental stamina which (for me) was 90% of the problem.
  6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Keep lifting the lego blocks. DO NOT go running with wieghts, your body is not mature enough to handle it, I still have problems with my feet because I did alot of that stuff.

Listen to paracord.
  7. After I joined the RN I found that drinking lots of beer increased my body weight substantially. Didn't do a lot for my fitness though. Still in those days of long ago we didn't have to do an RN annual fitness test.
  8. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

High carbohydrate 1-2 hours before exercise (pasta/ potato), protein immediately after (chicken/ tuna/ liver) Put your biggest balanced meal at midday if possible. Drink lots of water, 1% dehydration = 10% drop in performance.

Training..... distance not speed, running, cycling. rowing, swimming then rest day etc.

When I was boxing I used to use high protein drinks and supplements like L' ornithine, liquid liver, brewers yeast, they just made me feel sick and gave me spots :dwarf: So generally I would agree about the supplements although if you are training hard a good multi-vit in addition to your balanced diet may help.
  9. wet_blobby

Slim has a point, not long ago pregnant women were advised to drink guinness to get some iron in there bodies. only drinking in moderation is bad.
  10. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

My post training snack used to be a tin of tuna and a pint of guiness, by order of CPO PTI, I was scrawny then, seems to have worked now though :thumright:
  11. wet_blobby

Tin of tuna, drained, lashings of black pepper. Now were talking.
  12. Well i've just been for a run :D

And when i came back I had plenty of water, some tuna and pasta, I'm guessing that was the right thing to do right?

I have my 1.5 mile run down to 8 mins 37 seconds, which isnt really amazing but it's a start :D

Any idea if your run time helps, or is it just being able to do it in under the time you need to do it in that gets you in?
  13. That's a beast of a time tbh.
    My personal best is 9.07.
    Don't try too hard too much too soon.
  14. wet_blobby

Don't focus on one thing, spread your training out.
  15. Ever seen an Olympic swimmer?

Go swimming mate, lots of lengths using different strokes, increasing each week. Your stamina will go through the roof and you will start to gain mass of the right type (i.e all over instead of specific muscle groups).
    I would suggest concentrating on Frontcrawl and Breaststroke, as these two are easier with regard to your breathing being part of the stroke (plus butterfly is a ball ache until you have a level of stamina built up :) )
  16. Thanks lads :D

You guys always know how to help me :p

I was KNACKERED after the 8.37, i want to be able to still function after :D

So i'll get swimming, the gym near me has a decent pool, shall get to it :p