Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Runners Knee

Kaiser

Hey guys,

I've been training since May, and have come along in leaps and bounds with my running.

Recently I entered a race and really gunned it. Since then I've been having some problems. Both my knees locked up post race (insufficient warm down and cramped journey home). The pain was on the outer side of the leg/knee.

I was told by friends that running so far for so long on the pavement will be why I'm in pain. I read about Runners knee and the friction of the tendon/ligament against the knee, the symptoms seem the same.

My left knee is fine. But I'm finding when I go out for a run, my right knee/leg gets very painful and I am unable to run any significant distance

Has anyone come across this before and can give some advice? I'm doing Raleigh early next year and would rather not have any complications.

It's gotten quite cold quite quickly so I'm trying to extend my warm ups.

Kaiser

A

angrydoc

It could be anything from a muscle sprain/strain to a tear in the cartilage of the knee. Probably more likely to be the former.

Have you taken any anti-inflammatories (eg ibuprofen)? Whatever the problem is, they will reduce the inflammation and should make things better. Try some non-impact exercise for the next week or so (eg cross-trainer) then build up. If it's still giving probs then a spot of physio may help to work out which (if any) ligament has been strained. If this doesn't help then off you go to your GP for referral to an orthopaedic clinic.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Ibts runners knee Health & Fitness 2
dabbzie Iliotibial Band Syndrome (Runners knee) Health & Fitness 6
L Local Runners (Changing life style) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
soleil Barnet & Whetstone Press: "MP Joins The Navy In Hunt For Drug Runners" RFA 14
soleil "HMS Manchester's Stealth Defeats Caribbean Drug Runners" The Fleet 0
T Iron Duke and drug runners The Quarterdeck 0
E Mr Jellybelly & the Drug Runners History 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp 'On the knee' incident at RNB Portsmouth History 0
R Knee crepitus Joining the Royal Navy 20
ws1602 Knee Injury post medical Health & Fitness 9
J Runner's Knee - How to fix ASAP? Health & Fitness 3
G Knee Injury advice Joining the Royal Navy 2
M Appeal against knee injury Joining the Royal Navy 4
J Knee injury Health & Fitness 12
JRA Medical Appeal - Knee Crepitus and Acne Treatment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
S Some information about a knee injiry Health & Fitness 4
Ezyturn25 Arthroscopic Surgery (Knee) Health & Fitness 9
J New knee Health & Fitness 10
soleil Sun: "I Struggled To Get Down On One Knee – But Sophie’s Worth It" The Corps 0
T-H Possible knee issues. Health & Fitness 3
BillyNoMates Knee No 2 Diamond Lil's 112
Holli knee injury Health & Fitness 5
F Bent knee push ups... Health & Fitness 6
labrum Double knee surgery Health & Fitness 10
N knee supports whislt doing basic training Health & Fitness 2
N can you wear knee supports whilst doing basic training ? Sports and Adventure Training 3
JonnoJonno Runner's Knee and taping Health & Fitness 29
N Knee Problem...a problem? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
B knee problems Health & Fitness 9
R Dislocated Knee Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
S Knee problems with no solutions... Health & Fitness 6
S Knee problems with no help Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Gollum Got my PJFT on Monday.....and I've buggered my knee! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
rugger_bob Knee problems, advice Sports and Adventure Training 16
N The "On your knee" Mutiny History 12
Shakey The knee joint during exercise Sports and Adventure Training 5
G Knee Problems The Corps 4