Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Runner's Knee and taping

JonnoJonno

Banned
Hello you lot

I've picked up a niggle in my right knee. I think this 'pose' method of running has basically given me a muscle imbalance and my quads are no where near as strong as they should be (my calf muscles and hamstrings are very strong). As a result I've got a sensation of instability and slight pain on the inside of my knee. It really doesn't 'hurt' as such, but I would like to fix it before it turns into an injury.

Before I get to the gym and start working on the quads I need to rest it and make sure it doesn't get worse. I'm going to have a week off running and get some swimming done. Has anyone used taping as a way of supporting the joint during this time? If you have, did it do more good than strapping it up?

Thanks, you scoundrels.
 
I'd not normally comment here, being a civvie and all that...

But I had something very similar sounding, and it started after a run. Like you I couldn't afford an injury as I'm renovating a knackered house and rely on moving heavy materials like a ton of concrete at a time ;->

See your physio. I did and she diagnosed the kneecap was slightly out of position - easily corrected with some exercises to stretch certain ligaments and strengthen particular muscle groups.

But it's not something I would attempt to try a homebrew remedy - the physio can see exactly what's wrong and can come up with the right regime to fix it. Results were rapid in my case.

Good luck!
 

JonnoJonno

Banned
Thanks mucker. I'm sure that I have muscle imbalance (it is a common complaint with this style of running, especially as I have not been doing any other exercise other than running). I have just put on a knee brace which centres the patella and it's fixed the niggle completely.

Now I need to build up the strength in my quads.
 

Toucan

Lantern Swinger
JonnoJonno said:
Thanks mucker. I'm sure that I have muscle imbalance (it is a common complaint with this style of running, especially as I have not been doing any other exercise other than running). I have just put on a knee brace which centres the patella and it's fixed the niggle completely.

Now I need to build up the strength in my quads.
SQUATS!

Exercise of the gods!

Deadlifts are, of course, the closest contender for that title. Though not so useful for your particular problem.

As always, seek medical advice first. If your knees are truly buggered, resistance training may not be the smartest thing.
 

Toucan

Lantern Swinger
JonnoJonno said:
At the moment I think I would curl out my lower intestines if I did that! Cheers for the link.
A valid concern. More than once I have had to roll the weight off my back and set a new personal best sprinting/waddling for the heads.
 

JonnoJonno

Banned
Cheers Tommo! I've been on 6 miles a day for the last two weeks just loving this new style. I have a feeling I pushed a bit too hard and lost some of the technique.

When done properly this style essentially gets rid of pronation; but when I lost technique (tired calves I think) I started landing badly, which grated the patella a little.

Feeling better today already so fingers crossed it's not a baddun :)

You got rid of the niggles Tommo?
 

tommo

War Hero
JonnoJonno said:
Cheers Tommo! I've been on 6 miles a day for the last two weeks just loving this new style. I have a feeling I pushed a bit too hard and lost some of the technique.

When done properly this style essentially gets rid of pronation; but when I lost technique (tired calves I think) I started landing badly, which grated the patella a little.

Feeling better today already so fingers crossed it's not a baddun :)

You got rid of the niggles Tommo?

Not 100% no fella. It's strange one. I seem alright up to about 8 miles then I get the niggles then it goes I run through it further. Then the niggles hurt for a day after the long run and then it's fine.

Bit gay, but speaking to people in the know, it's a common thing and people run through it and live it. Curse of runners
 

tommo

War Hero
Not officially no. It's not a major problem just annoying during very long runs. Will see how it goes after marathon as I will be able to let my body recover fully after.
 

Toucan

Lantern Swinger
What's this technique then? Looks like mid/forefoot striking just ahead of the hips from the videos I can see? If so, it's similar to what barefoot runners have been advocating for some time now.

The (ultra-marathon/iron man) runner who got me into barefoot/lightweight shoe running said that initially you should run no more than 0.5-1 mile/day, then up it by about 10% every week, mainly to build the correct muscles and avoid injury. If you've been running in heavy padded shoes and heel-striking then it's not an easy transition.

Oh, and I'm sure there's a joke here about home taping and the damage it can cause to the record industry.
 

JonnoJonno

Banned
Toucan said:
What's this technique then? Looks like mid/forefoot striking just ahead of the hips from the videos I can see? If so, it's similar to what barefoot runners have been advocating for some time now.

The (ultra-marathon/iron man) runner who got me into barefoot/lightweight shoe running said that initially you should run no more than 0.5-1 mile/day, then up it by about 10% every week, mainly to build the correct muscles and avoid injury. If you've been running in heavy padded shoes and heel-striking then it's not an easy transition.

Oh, and I'm sure there's a joke here about home taping and the damage it can cause to the record industry.

Barefoot running essentially, yes. I run some distance in barefeet to strengthen the muscles in my foot, with the rest of the distance in these:


My feet and calves are REALLY strong, but because I've been sitting on my arse setting up servers for the last two weeks, and have not been doing any other exercise other than running 6 miles a night, my quadriceps are massively imbalanced.

The one problem with this technique is it can be so much fun you find yourself running more than you should. I don't typically run at all fast but can maintain 7-8 minute miles cross country for 6 miles whilst breathing through my nose. It's fun!
 

Toucan

Lantern Swinger
JonnoJonno said:
My feet and calves are REALLY strong, but because I've been sitting on my arse setting up servers for the last two weeks, and have not been doing any other exercise other than running 6 miles a night, my quadriceps are massively imbalanced.
I can commiserate there... My feet are weak, but my quads/calves are pretty strong, mainly from weightlifting.

I can run decently in padded shoes (paying close attention to striking correctly) but can only barely pass the PJFT barefoot. Working on that now though, got a programme of stretches/exercises that are paying dividends. Hoping to be able to ditch these trainers in 4 months or so, ideally.
 

rogerthecabinboy

Lantern Swinger
I have a similar pain after running, I spoke to a physio over a beer and she reckoned it was lack of muscle support either side of kneecap. she checked this by making me do a single leg squat (ooh er matron), down till pain then up again, keeping the knee pointed over the second toe, trying to keep your balance. i wobbled like a stoker doing a math test. am now waitng for referral to private physio through health insurance.

was a bit worried when she checked my colon though.......................... :roll:
 

JonnoJonno

Banned
Looks like I have a mild touch of Patello-Femoral pain.

I'm strengthening the knee joint, and am looking for any advice (probably from the Doc and Booties) on recommended knee joint exercises.

I'm swimming, leg squats and some machine work at the gym. Anything which you guys have used which works would help.

Cheers, and 'hoofing' (insert wherever the hell that's supposed to be used) :D
 

labrum

War Hero
JonnoJonno said:
Looks like I have a mild touch of Patello-Femoral pain.

I'm strengthening the knee joint, and am looking for any advice (probably from the Doc and Booties) on recommended knee joint exercises.

I'm swimming, leg squats and some machine work at the gym. Anything which you guys have used which works would help.

Cheers, and 'hoofing' (insert wherever the hell that's supposed to be used) :D

Don't play with things you don't understand...
 

JonnoJonno

Banned
labrum said:
JonnoJonno said:
Looks like I have a mild touch of Patello-Femoral pain.

I'm strengthening the knee joint, and am looking for any advice (probably from the Doc and Booties) on recommended knee joint exercises.

I'm swimming, leg squats and some machine work at the gym. Anything which you guys have used which works would help.

Cheers, and 'hoofing' (insert wherever the hell that's supposed to be used) :D

Don't play with things you don't understand...

Hoofing response :wink:

Liking the Swiss ball stuff. I have a balance ball which I'll bring into play.

I do some cycling but on lower resistance so will up it a little. Cheers hoofing people that was hoofing.

Yours hoofing
Jonno
 

dabbzie

Lantern Swinger
JonnoJonno said:
At the moment I think I would curl out my lower intestines if I did that! Cheers for the link.

linky

you mean like this jonnojonno? ouch!

edited, WARNING graphic picture, let hope no ones eating :confused4:
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Runner's Knee - How to fix ASAP? Health & Fitness 3
S Blade Runner Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 4
soleil Sun: Blade Runner Lydia runs for H4H with Mne Ben McBean The Corps 5
Colander RM Blade Runner - Bristol Half Marathon Charity 0
sgtpepperband Free Film Offer - Kite Runner Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 0
bigbaddog Any of your Ancestors done a runner?? Diamond Lil's 11
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp 'On the knee' incident at RNB Portsmouth History 0
R Knee crepitus Joining the Royal Navy 20
ws1602 Knee Injury post medical Health & Fitness 9
G Knee Injury advice Joining the Royal Navy 2
M Appeal against knee injury Joining the Royal Navy 4
J Knee injury Health & Fitness 12
JRA Medical Appeal - Knee Crepitus and Acne Treatment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
C Ibts runners knee Health & Fitness 2
S Some information about a knee injiry Health & Fitness 4
Ezyturn25 Arthroscopic Surgery (Knee) Health & Fitness 9
J New knee Health & Fitness 10
soleil Sun: "I Struggled To Get Down On One Knee – But Sophie’s Worth It" The Corps 0
T-H Possible knee issues. Health & Fitness 3
BillyNoMates Knee No 2 Diamond Lil's 112
Holli knee injury Health & Fitness 5
dabbzie Iliotibial Band Syndrome (Runners knee) Health & Fitness 6
F Bent knee push ups... Health & Fitness 6
labrum Double knee surgery Health & Fitness 10
N knee supports whislt doing basic training Health & Fitness 2
N can you wear knee supports whilst doing basic training ? Sports and Adventure Training 3
Kaiser Runners Knee Health & Fitness 3
N Knee Problem...a problem? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
B knee problems Health & Fitness 9
R Dislocated Knee Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
S Knee problems with no solutions... Health & Fitness 6
S Knee problems with no help Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Gollum Got my PJFT on Monday.....and I've buggered my knee! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
rugger_bob Knee problems, advice Sports and Adventure Training 16
N The "On your knee" Mutiny History 12
Shakey The knee joint during exercise Sports and Adventure Training 5
G Knee Problems The Corps 4
Similar threads





































Top