Run Ashore in London

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Father_Famine, May 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

I am attending the Falklands parade on 17th June with my good lady and son aged 11.

We are getting down on train on afternoon of 15th and returning in the evening of the 18th.

Realising it is also trooping of colour on Saturday and Sunday will be taken up with parade and party on Horse Guards, I was wondering if anyone could recommend anything else to do, places to drink (are kids allowed in pubs darn souff??)

I know there is a Falklands rugby match on Sat afternoon, but, SWMBO and son and heir are not keen on the egg shaped ball sport.

Would appreciate it if anyone has any ideas, preferably not bank breaking though............................

Terry

2. Hi,

Am currently drafted to the Old War Office building in Whitehall so know the area quite well. Theres stacks to do, can highly recommend the London Eye if you've not done it before, you should have the weather and the views are amazing, you can book online, then you just go to the front of the queue. The History & Science museums are great and are free entry to boot! Tower of London is ok too but a bit pricey. There are loads of pub/restaurants where kids are welcome all over london.

Hope this helps

Chaz

3. Terry,

You could book a ride (I recommend booking in advance) on the London Eye. You get really spectacular views of London. The London Aquarium beneath the old GLC building is also well worth a visit at the same time.

The National Maritime Museum is also well worth a visit, as are the Imperial War Museum and of course HMS Belfast!

There are some nice eating places near the old GLC building, round the back, but these are not really designed with children in mind. If you want a nice evening meal then I can recommend the Italian restaurant, Topo Gigio in Brewer Street, Soho, which is family friendly and an experience. They do more than pasta - I have been going there since I was a small boy in the 1960s - though they were in a different venue in those far off days. Another good eating place is Simpsons in The Strand, though I suggest you opt to eat upstairs as the panelled dining room downstairs is a bit depressing and its cuisine a bit limited - or at least it was in the 1990s when I last went!

If you are on Oxford Street at any time, the Salvation Army have a cafe there (275 Oxford Street) called the Coffee Shop, which offers a variety of tasty snacks/meals at VERY reasonable prices. I am one of their regular customers!

Steve.

4. Hi FF,

agree completely with Chaz re London Eye. Do book online in advance as the queues will be terrible at that time of year. I've lived here for 20 years & think its the best attraction going. Another good one is the open top bus ride - you can take snacks and stuff. Fab way to see the city. I used to rec. the boat trip down to Greenwich but the commentary isn't what it used to be so unless you are going anyway don't bother. If you do coming back via the DLR is great fun - Canary Wharf and the like are very exciting.

After that I'd say Museums - Natural History is THE best in my opinion good for all ages and you will enjoy it as much as your son.

Never been to the Tower myself though I'm told its excellent.

Enjoy your day

GR
    8)

5. Thanks, given us something to think about, we did the London Eye about 4 years ago last time we came down, but, that was just a day trip.

Before that just my wife and I came down for the last Royal Tournament in 1999 enjoyed anight out around Soho and Covent Garden.

Terry

6. I'm a great fan of the National Maritime Museum, although they have moved the Harrison Clocks up to the observatory now. Greenwich park is a great place for a picnic if the weather is good, and there were some nice smaller shops in the old market for the Mrs.

7. It is well worth a visit to the restored Queen's House where you learn, amongst other things, that the silk wallpaper cost more than the Rembrants! Reminds me of somewhere else... :D Happy days! :lol:

8. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

If you want to do the Tower of London I would recommend catching one of the water taxi's by the houses of Parliment and going down the Thames on it, it gives you a very different outlook on London, also there is a very nice pathway from the tower back up to Parliment square which is a pleasant bimble along the river, cut up past the MOD building and your in piccadilly circus/trafalgar square area.

9. I would say that the IMAX cinema at Waterloo would be good. Also the London Dungeons. Both can be booked on line. Particularly the dungeon because you can go straight to the front of the queue as they have a different entrance for those booked on line, also its cheaper.

10. London visit

Like Chaz am too in old war office, does no one work in here?

Once youve done with central London take the amusing "city" cruises down river, theyre very witty, there you can get off at Tower or continue to Grenwich. Head to Museum in the Docklands nr Canary Wharf which is one of the better museums in town, less crowded more fun! Eating & drinking in Whitehall & West End to be honest is only fair at best ( overpriced and generally mediocre food as its for visitors, Londoners dont really go out in the West End much ) there are far better places in the boroughs beyond zone 1. Sat night with a young son why not got to Walthamstow dogs which is full of couples, young people and kids are welcome . Another tip try and get oyster card online it will dave you a fortune in tube fares see TFL website. Camden market on the Sunday morning, or if youre missus likes flowers get up early and head to Columbia St market which is a sea of colour, cafes etc Other places are Upper St Islington great for pubs & restaurants... Steve ( EX RN ) 22 done, free at last !!!! :)

11. I love London and go down there on a regular basis for a bit of retail therapy. :D

If your a Star Wars fan there is an exhibition that started last Sat (5th May) and is running right up until September. (Dont get this exhibition confused though with the European Star Wars exhibition which starts in July and is also in London!)

The exhibition is £16.50 each for adults and is about a 2 min walk from the London Eye. Its open Mon - Sun 10am til 8pm i think.

There is also the Duck tours which leaves from also near the London eye. This is an amphibious ww2 vehicle that goes in and out of water. Its a big yellow thing (and was used on that advert they banned on trident chewing gum where they say emanicipation for the nation or whatever the prat is saying!)

12. Cutty Sark?

13. Re: London visit

It depends which end of Whitehall you eat in! :D Not bad, eh?... Three RR's within 5 minutes walking distance of one another. Fancy a drink sometime?

14. and what are you doing with the bad (or not so good ) lady???? :wink:

sorry - took me ages to spot that one - put it down to age :wink:

GRx