Rum Ration morphs into an RNA forum...

clanky

War Hero
CheefTiff said:
Might have a dicky ticker shipmate but I do still have a full head of hair.

Seriously though, it saddens me to see a serving member not appreciate the value added by the retirees who frequent this place. I have noted much good advice, many a decent dit and lots of entertainment form those of us no loger holding an ID card.

As for all the comments about Ganges, I can't say that I have noticed them. But then as a Fisgard/Caledonia lad the significance would be lost on me !

Can you point to a post where the O&B are not being appreciated?

D

Deleted 7

Right lads, enough of the bickering!

In the first few pages of this thread the main points have been added. Please don't try and add fuel to a non- existent fire.

Jones265R

Badgeman
dt018a9667 said:
hammockhead said:
If you don't understand, ask. If they are too stuck up their own arses to give you an explanation, they deserve to be annoyed. Eventually we should get around to having a glossary, plus an explanation of the new uniform numbering system.

Could not agree more, I have spent hours trying to figure some of them out with very little success. Ever since joining the mob I was always taught not to be afraid to ask or look it up if I did not understand or know. Now what is wrong with that? To me that is the best advice I could give any youngster in today’s Navy

If in doubt - shout out

geoffrey said:
No I don't, and no I can't. My point was (which, with respect, you've somewhat missed although Jenny_Dabber saw it) that ex-matelots should be more than welcome everywhere on RR - indeed they are the backbone at the moment. It's just that the reminisences could be kept to one huge board and that fresh threads shouldn't be hijacked by the majority.

Yes welcome if they keep to their own corner. What you miss is that those past experiences can often explain some of the reasons things are the way they are. They may even be interesting too.

geoffrey said:
I do not claim to be an expert, and it's all in my opinion only, (I'm not a moderator) and rather than the usual RN way of moaning about a problem, I've tried to offer a suggestion to solve it. A bit of an overhaul about the boards should do (by Bad_CO's admission, the choice of boards to start with was a bit of a guess!) and more posting discipline/moderator intervention. I started this thread because I was concerned from feedback of modern sailors that this site was unappealing to them, and thought I'd pass it on. Not to moan about those who served their country before me. But the more I hear from some people, the more I think it's a lost cause. .

Firstly I don't think the moderators are 'expert', I don't mean that as an insult, rather a recognition that these places happen because some ordinary people like you and me give up some of their hard earned time to provide a service for others. Yes I agree that some rationalisation of the boards would be a good thing and once again that is not a suggesting they were wrong, rather a recognition that any discussion group evolves and to keep going the 'system' needs to evolve too. Getting back to the main point it is your opinion that if the 'old farts' are sent of to a corner of their own away from the youth then all will be OK. I would suggest that will not solve anything, and perhaps result in the complete collapse of the concept.

geoffrey said:
The perfect example of this: the acronym thing. To me, moaning about not knowing some of the most common and ubiquitous naval TLAs is (in my unofficial opinion only) slightly odd. Everyone serving knows what DII is, what DCIs are and how the rubbish DINs have replaced them. If this is to be a naval site for both current and former sailors, then shouting about not understanding an abbreviation or acronym is far ruder than using it in the first place. If a post warrants the inclusion of a TLA, then it's probably about something current. I say again, If you can't understand an acronym/TLA on a particular thread, then you're probably on the wrong thread, so don't post! There are plenty of other threads to choose from. What's wrong with that?.

Bollocks, (people who know me will know I don't swear often) If you exlude people because you think they shouldn't contribute then you are losing something. Apart from three years of my working life I have either been in the navy or worked in the marine or defence industry. I may well have something to contribute that has value, as will any others of the 'old farts' but if you exclude us you will not get that contribution, and you may lose something.

geoffrey said:
I LIKE Rum Ration - it was overdue, it's a great idea and has huge potential. I LIKE the majority of the threads, and the banter, and the fact that I've learnt a lot from frequent posters already. But .... at the moment it's not ARRSE, and it's not pPRuNE. And unless something changes soon - and it becomes the site of choice for today's sailors to log onto, swap dits, rumours and have a moan - it never will be.

And I suspect the only way that will happen is if people start posting things that interest them. Now quite clearly as an 'old fart' I can't do that, over to you.

Peter

PompeySailor

Lantern Swinger
There would appear to be feathers ruffled aplenty in here at the moment, I have seen lots of newsgroups destroyed and decimated by this sort of infighting, and I hope we are not going the same way.

I think that the idea of hiving off a forum for reminiscing about G***es is potentially a good idea, purely because as soon as someone mentions it, we get a drifting slew of tales about what people did, who they knew, etc, and the original topic seems to get lost.

I don't think that dividing between current and ex will work, because where do those people go who have only been out a few years - a lot of their information is still valid.

Perhaps all that is required is some more thread discipline?

D

Deleted 7

Right, I will lock this thread but not delete it, if it continues as a debate.

As I have mentioned before, most relevant posts are within the first few pages. We will just gone round and round in circles eventually with this.

What we need more of is positive ideas, not a hissy fit!

Jenny_Dabber said:
Right, I will lock this thread but not delete it, if it continues as a debate.

As I have mentioned before, most relevant posts are within the first few pages. We will just gone round and round in circles eventually with this.

What we need more of is positive ideas, not a hissy fit!

OK for the sake of harmony I will shut up, but that still does not solve the problem of getting more serving members to take part and without discussion and getting ideas from people especially those who claim to be 'in touch' I see no way forward.

Peter

D

Deleted 7

Maxi, we are trying our best at this moment, however it is not easy.

There are plenty of 'serving' members on this forum, however, being deployed may stop them from posting.

There are many ways to help bring our numbers up and I am sure many people have tried. This site is still a baby, so of course there will be a spurt when the join up rate will dip or stop for now.

Jenny_Dabber said:
Maxi, we are trying our best at this moment, however it is not easy.

There are plenty of 'serving' members on this forum, however, being deployed may stop them from posting.

There are many ways to help bring our numbers up and I am sure many people have tried. This site is still a baby, so of course there will be a spurt when the join up rate will dip or stop for now.

I am well aware you are trying your best and doing a grand job, and I know getting something started is never easy. Personally I don't care whether a poster is serving or not, just whether the post is interesting. Neither am I in favour of pidgeon holing or discrimination.

Peter

PartTimePongo

War Hero
The simplest way to do this is thread discipline. I am not in favour of segregating the OB from the serving , and a lot of serving are not in favour of that either.

In Arrse, I routinely move threads all over the board, to areas where they are more appropriate. It's simply a case of a lot more work for the MODS until such time as the membership catch up with what you are trying to do. It's not a drama, unless the person whose post is moved, then throws a teddy.

Which strangely only happens with never-served civvies or people who've been out of the Army since National service :(

Yes moderation in some cases can be seen as draconian , but that's all part of the shakedown on a new board, until all is 'shipshape and Bristol'

My only problem with some of the Old and bold , is Guys, it's not the 70's any more , and some of the language used is inappropriate on a 'modern' forum, and some concerns have been raised to me by currently serving members on this issue.

A lot can be learnt from the OB's (Nothing new under the sun etc) and their input is valued. If the thread is heading down the WiWi path, then it falls on us to move it, or contributors to ping us with 'Wouldn't this be better in".....

I've been in Arrse since the earliest days and the one thing I can say , is it took us the best part of a year to get to where the membership is today on RumRation.

As for more currently serving members? That's up to those of you who are serving, to get them in , and currently serving to up their post rate on matters Andrew.

No doubt we'll have this discussion again when new members from Allied or Commonwealth Navies request their own messdeck in the future?

PTP.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Somewhere among the posts, I have suggested that posts that are way off thread, Ganges people were the main offenders should be moved by the Mods to the appropriate thread, or deleted if just the same old it were harder at G than Sing Sing. I appreciate it makes more work for the Mods but am sure it won't take long, for people to catch on and have a bit more self disipline so that they stay on topic. I think its probably happening already if you check over the last few days.
Its early days folks, it will take time for things to settle down..
In as far as inappropriate words or language is concerned, do as someone else has suggested and censor those words. A very difficult area as what some see as inappropriate others don't.
Can I express my thanks to the Mods, its a difficult and time consuming job, but looking at the membership and number of postings to date, I'm sure it will prove to be a very satisfactory endevour.

J-D I love it when you come over all Manly and Masterful :lol:

PompeySailor

Lantern Swinger
janner said:
J-D I love it when you come over all Manly and Masterful :lol:

See, when I was at Ganges in '23, the only girls you ever saw were manly, you could lose your 1/2d annual wages to a NAAFI girl in an arm-wrestling match and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........