Rum Ration . Have the Submariners subsumed it?

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
I was on the Argonaut one of the first ships fitted with Towed Array and spent most of our time up the Iceland/Greenland gap looking for Typhoons - we could track them from around 200 miles away if water layers were in our favour - we too had to go 'ultra quiet' all radar/comms off, all off duty went to bed with our walkmans,. Toilets, showers and galleys all closed - at least if the weather was Ok we could open a couple of the upper deck doors and let the wind lessen the whiff a bit.............................................................

Looking at current entries there are three concerning submariners. Minority service with a majority voice?
Not really, on several points!

Only 3current posts? Must try harder - there are shedloads!
Minority Service - oh, that carries the UK nuclear deterrent.
Majority voice - don't like it? Start posting or get your papers in and transfer to the sundodgers.
It is also generally acknowledged that modern nuclear submarines are capital ships.
Anyway, we all got SO MUCH MONEY* (I had to get that one in to appease 'some' trolls!) that we were able to retire early and have nothing better to do than post drivel on RR and other sites!

* Just decided to put it in bold too!

I was on the Argonaut one of the first ships fitted with Towed Array and spent most of our time up the Iceland/Greenland gap looking for Typhoons - we could track them from around 200 miles away if water layers were in our favour - we too had to go 'ultra quiet' all radar/comms off, all off duty went to bed with our walkmans,. Toilets, showers and galleys all closed - at least if the weather was Ok we could open a couple of the upper deck doors and let the wind lessen the whiff a bit.............................................................
Safeguard - I always felt sorry for all the ships that spent time up there trying to do our job, especially with the weather. At least we could get down a bit - depending on layers!!

I know I've been subject to ultra quiet state, but don't forget me or BOTTWU!
@B
There’s more of us than that Sumo. I realise I may not be the most prolific poster but I’m a little hurt you forgot me, after all I’m fairly sure we shipped out together on Triumph around ‘94/‘95.
I know that but I have a brain like a sieve and so I note a few who will spread out, just like tag:);)

I had a similar pleasure on the Arethusa during my sea training year as an apprentice. We did the gap, a Med TA patrol and another off the eastern seaboard of the US. Don't remember having to do all the ultra quiet nonsense though. I had to wait until I was volunteered for boats for that pleasure. 7 out of a class of 11 were told they were going SM.

Have the Submariners subsumed it?

Saw what you did there, Norman, almost droll... :rolleyes:

BTW, most of the Submariners here served time in GS in before going deep. What's your excuse, tank-shy perchance?

iffy/Norman is probably closet string vest scrambler , dribbles his bile to attract salty seadogs into dishing out
verbal abuse soz he can get a stiffy on.