Rum Ration Censors members

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by IDOITDEEPER, Jan 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I suppose this thread will be binned as quickly as I have written it. Please comment on your thoughts in respect to this subject. I have been censored do you believe it is right? Here are a couple of links illustrating the petiness being displayed against me by a group of moderators.

Have a nice day
  2. Do what the rest of us have done. If you have something that may appear contentious, or likely to up set the Mods on here, go to ROMFT. I post on both, but, I never stay where I'm not wanted.
  3. IDID, Don't take this the wrong way! If I were you I would delete this thread because at best it makes you look 'needy' at worst it makes you appear paranoid. I would wager that the majority of people on this site don't like the fact that your posts have been removed and in that sense you hold the moral high ground - so don't blow it!
  4. They've not been removed, they're just not visible without a conscious effort to read them.

Admin is in the situation where he's damned whichever way he acts.
  5. Karma, Please don't take me so literally, you know what I meant; I was trying to tell IDID that this thread makes him look daft.
    PS Your own reply - They've not been removed, they're just not visible - sounds like something out of Nineteen Eighty-Four! :dwarf:
  6. I think there is a distinct difference between censorship which would be the removal of content or actively changing his contributions, and what the modification actually allows, which is merely preventing their being displayed by default. As far as I'm aware there have been no changes to anything that's been posted. I know from my own experience I've only twice had to remove content, other than the fairly frequent cleanup of multiple norman-postings of the same subject time and time again under different IDs.

There is an accusation being made of something that's not happening. Nobody is being silenced, and nobodies contributions are being altered to make them appear to say something that wasn't said in the first place.
  7. Karma, pmsl (In jest) Are you related to Donald Rumsfeld by any chance?

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."

How is 'not visible' not censorship? I reckon you're a civil servant or a bureaucrat of some sort :w00t:
  8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Norman?! 8O :oops:
  9. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I think you'll find that your threads, and I use the term loosely hve not been binned but moved to the Gash Barge.

People can still read what you have written and are free to post replies therefore I would suggest that an accusation of outright censorship is a little unfounded.
  10. silverfox

[quote="HarryBosch They've not been removed, they're just not visible - sounds like something out of Nineteen Eighty-Four! :dwarf:[/quote]

pmsl - they are warming the desk at Labour HQ as we speak.
  11. Though I have been 180 degrees opposed to most of Idiotdeepers postings and rantings I do believe that he should be allowed to voice them, so long as they are not opening up the site owners to litigation.
    So is RR now being censored? We seem to be having more members than ever being censored purely because their views are contraversal.
    Many of us post on more than one site and if Idiotdeeper would like to keep up his tirade I am certain he will be more than welcome to do so on ROMFT.
  12. silverfox

I think you'll find that Idiotkeeper challenged the site Admin - who rose to the challenge and took action accordingly.

The fact that his repetitive posts have been moved to the Gash barge, where people are free to read and contribute.

This is not censorship, but moderation. There is a difference.

Check out the CO's comments in the posts.
  13. Roofrat why should I go to ROMFT if I am inclined to post subjects that appear contentious or likely to upset the MODs? Surely the whole purpose of an internet forum is to discuss all issues even contentious ones! Please take the time to read all of my posts. I think you might agree I have actually got some very pertinent things to say.

Karma as it has been so eloquently put to you, making my posts invisible is rather Orwellian. Lets not split hairs.

Silverfox, in respect to your comment that an accusation of downright censorship is unfounded I would disagree.

Harrybosch yes I agree I probably do hold the moral high ground and have no intention of blowing it. However by deleting this thread I would in effect remove from members the current ability to discuss this issue.

SPB- Norman? I can categorically assure you I am not he. Having not been privvy to his antics I can only comment on what I have heard through the grapevine. He was removed from RR for what ever reason and keeps returning under assumed names? I have not simply left the site and signed in using another alias, and I will not. Until IDOITDEEPER is banned for from RR for posting anything that might open the site owners to litigation he will remain. He simply would not do that anyway. He has however noticed various other RR members violating both OPSEC and PERSEC. Is this not more of an issue than upsetting moderators?

Silverfox when have I ever challenged the site admin? Please remind me?I have followed the site advice with respect to complaining, however some moderators just insist on abusing me. As displayed by Silverfox referring to me as IDIOTKEEPER. I have made a complaint to the site admin in respect to my situation but he has seen fit to not answer my e mail.

Have a nice day
  14. IDID has replied to this thread but one has to click 'Reply' in order to see it and that is just not right.
  15. Contributor/Moderator Mode

Perhaps in my brain befuddled by old age I am missing something. I challenge any person on these pages that they have never censored themselves or been either in their employment/family/social life censored to preserve a united front/save their job/keep the peace/security/maintain family relationships etc.

So why do you get so so upset and annoyed when on a Forum which belongs to another,either them or the people they have appointed,feel the boundary has been overstepped and take some form of action. Just because it is in the internet and not written in a report you think you can say what you like when you like no matter who's pages you are writing it on.

You really must take a more mature attitude to what another person decides to do with his property. If you wrote a report slagging your employers/employees/customers and they censored of removed it you would not be surprised so why are you now?

I do feel a reason, however much you may not agree with it, should be given and in the few times I have exercised the deletion or moving of a thread I have given a reason, but I am not then prepared to enter a debate out the matter its take it or leave it situation. Even less would I discuss the matter on PM's which the other party may publish so removing the word PRIVATE from the message. On one occasion I suggested, by PM, to a member that his posting may or may not breach security and that I did not know, but if he thought it may then perhaps he should remove it. In that case he did.

Come on folks there is no such thing as total free speech and never will be. Even on ROMFT, where my first ever post was to complain about the abuse and threat of censorship that a poster who was out of step with the majority think was getting.

16. Perhaps this will appear as a totally bone question but how does this work? I open the Thread and the first Post I see is RoofRat replying to, ostensibly, an imaginary friend. When I hit the reply button, as if by magic, I can read IDOITDEEPER's opening Post. Who or what makes it initially invisible and how? This is not by any means a drip, bind or squinny (one of my favourite Turktown expressions) but simply Mr Thicky trying to understand one of the mysteries of the Universe
  17. Nutty, If you are referring to the thread on ROMFT in regard to the commemorative services for Bosnia and Norther Ireland, i really must take exception to you saying i was threatening censorship against a specific member, if you had bothered to read my post in regard to that thread you would have realised this. the text of 'my threat' of censorship is as follows (members names have been removed)

OK, enough is enough.

**, ** made a comment that most if not all on ROMFT would strongly take exception to, she has been made aware of this.

**, a thread to mark an event to commemorate those that lost their live in NI was not an appropriate place to post that comment.

The personnel who served in NI have my respect, they had a fucking hard job to do in very difficult circumstances.

ROMFT has been running for 6 months now, I was given a certain amount of responsibilities on the site about 5 months ago, never in that time have I been tempted to lock or edit a thread (apart from one or two of the doc posts) but Christ I have been sorely tempted on this one. And before anyone gets on their high horse the only reason I would have done any editing was because the recent posts detract from the original post

The way the thread was going was showing a total lack of respect for those that had lost their lives in NI, I did not find this acceptable. The thread has now been split into 2, one for the original post and one where members can have as much fun as they want, either in banter or getting there point across.

Please note the Editing i have done on the Docs posts, well he deserves it, and he has on occasion edited a post or 2 of mine.
  18. Well I see it as censorship - hell if I had a fit every time some knobber on here says something revolting about women I'd be in intensive care by now ........... if it isn't actually censorship it certainly feels like it to me ...

19. Fukc off, you slag!

Just kidding :)
  20. Actually I started this thread off with the sole intention of creating a forum to discuss censorship within Rum Ration. It seems it has now extended to include censorship within another site. Personally I do not see this as any problem and think that hopefully it might spark off some very lively debate. I would sincerely hope others might take a similar view.

Have a very nice day
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.