rum for the constable of the tower of London

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by racingdog, Mar 23, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've found a law that states: any royal navy ships that enter the port of London must provide a barrel of rum to the constable of the tower of London.

Is this upheld?

What happened at the diamond jubilee, drunk beefeaters?

2. I love mentals, they make the day go quicker.

3. They all ate horsemeat by mistake so no beef.

4. Still a tradition carried out. Olympic guardship did it to great ceremony last year though it was red wine on this occasion.

HMS Ocean pays her dues at the Tower of London | Royal Navy

5. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Yep, old tradition always upheld by the ship I've been on if under the protection of the Tower's guns. (what I believe it was originally for?)

6. Only been alongside in London on one ship (Cumberland) do not recall it happening.

7. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks, I was secretly hoping it did still happen. I love all the old laws that still exist purely because there was no need to change them. Like all hackney carriages still have to carry a bale of hay.

Anyone got any more?

9. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Stirling will probably correct me, but I believe it is still legal to shoot a Sweaty Sock with a bow and arrow inside the City of York's walls.

10. Possibly, Sol ran something a while ago about a pub in the smoke which RN peeps visit each year with cakes ?.

11. The Widows Son. A RN person pops in every Good Friday with a hot cross bun. So if you get down there on Good Friday, you can join in. :thumbup:

The Widow’s Buns At Bow | Spitalfields Life

• Like Like x 1
  12. It appears that in Liverpool it is illegal for a woman to be topless except as a clerk in a tropical fish shop!

This might explain that when out of Liverpool every scouse lass can't wait to get her tits out!

• Like Like x 1