'rules of the road' text for warfare officers

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by nrbrie5, Jan 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I'm off to Dartmouth in February and have had a 'heads up' from a guy I know who passed out from there last year. He strongly suggested getting my hands on the book of rules that warfare officers have to learn off by heart. Unfortunately I can't remember the official title of the book...so dont know what to search for on amazon etc..

Can anyone remind me of the name please?...or better still a link to a website that may have the rules listed for free?

Many thanks in advance....

2. From Amazon:

A seamans guide to the rule of the road

I've got a copy and kept it next to my bunk onboard when studying for RoR tests.

I'd recommend getting this book and using it to understand the rules but also you need to be able to regurgitate parrot fashion the text of a lot of the rules.

I don't know at what stage at BRNC you start to learn but I know when you are embarked for IST you will conduct RoR tests

3. Bloody Hell - that's the same book I used to learn them when I was a Rating in the RNXS in 1991. It's excellent - though of course in reality, what yachty is going to test out the rule about sail vessels having right of way over an oil tanker! :twisted: :roll: :lol:

4. If in danger and cannot turn, ease her, stop her go Astern.

If to Stbd red appear, its your duty to steer clear

5. It's an absolutely thrilling read though!

Make sure you get the version with the pictures, rather than an all text version, as it's much easier to understand.

However, you'll still need to be able to recite some regulations word for word.

6. If two lights you see in front, full speed ahead and ram the c***. :wink:

7. That looks too complicated! Lets stick to the tried and tested... :lol:

8. I'd recommend getting this book and using it to understand the rules but also you need to be able to regurgitate parrot fashion the text of a lot of the rules.

I don't know at what stage at BRNC you start to learn but I know when you are embarked for IST you will conduct RoR tests[/quote]

You have to get 80% to pass each test. I can give you some past papers from 2001, 2003 & 2004 if you would like to practice? Just PM me your e-mail address and I will e-mail them to you. I will be using them over the next few (7 weeks!) to help get my head around the subject! Also make sure that you are doing you fitness programme!