Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League World Cup

stirling2

Banned
Yep, Oz were relentless and showed how the game should be played, too many missed tackles on Englands part and no attacking ideas.
The World Cup is Oz's to lose.

Moomin

War Hero
The_Jimmy said:
Rugby League World Cup

Australia 52 England 4

Oh Dear :bball:

I am NO fan of RL

Having been known to show my face at the odd Rugby Union (sorry not League) match for a team that shall remain nameless - we'd consider that a reasonable defeat, could be worse and all that. :thumright:

WE_TIFFY

Midshipman
England were the best team against the Kiwi's for the 1st half. After taking off Micky Higham and JP at the same time they lost a bit of direction.

A significant improvement on last week and some more points to take into next weeks game. Dont be surprised if they turn over New Zealand in the semi and give Australia a run for there money in the final.

Smith and JP have said all along they aim to get better towards the end of the tournament.

Come on England!

Also for all you interested, GB Armed forces turned New Zealand CS over 36-26, still waiting for news on the GB CS V PNG CS score that was a curtain raiser to todays game.

WE_TIFFY

Midshipman
Maybe they will but we can only hope that as the tournament goes on they get better and better.

The England side is not far off the GB side that has proven it can go head to head with the Aussies, they just lack a bit of direction and a good kicking game at the moment. The other factor I believe is Australia have such strength in depth, we loose a Prop we get Ben Westwood in???? They have quality players fighting for shirts and could put 3 or 4 quality world cup contender teams out, we just manage one!

Lets hope they prove us all wrong! It is about time we were good at something other than cycling!

Jack77

War Hero
If these were truly national teams I may get excited over the results but for years, at least in the case of Australia and New Zealand, the teams have been comprised largely of Pacific Islander ring ins and are not truly representative of the country they are playing for. The use of PI players at the expense of locals has just about destroyed the game at club level and is now doing the same at national level. The RL World Cup is a farce.

stirling2

Banned
Kiwis 32 England 22..........

Again we played like a bunch of strangers, Channel 9 in Oz have just agreed a deal to screen 2009 Super League, so the players in NRL can choose where to go when they retire from NRL.

WE_TIFFY

Midshipman
Not the side I would have selected with the inclusion of Westwood, Price and Calderwood and the exclusion of Sinny and Smithy but at the press and the doubters have the oppurtunity to put the side down now for being beaten in the semi's and not slaughtered in the world cup final against the world champions!

The only relief is that the 'Kick and Clap' brigade with the new Gavin Henson/David Beckham at No10 were beaten by slightly more points!

Stirling, your comment about Super League is unfounded, who has won the majority of World club championship the last 10 years? Marshall, the NZ playmaker is UK bound for Leeds and TL who ran the show for NZ in both England games has been playing his rugby in Super League.

stirling2

Banned
WE_TIFFY said:
Not the side I would have selected with the inclusion of Westwood, Price and Calderwood and the exclusion of Sinny and Smithy but at the press and the doubters have the oppurtunity to put the side down now for being beaten in the semi's and not slaughtered in the world cup final against the world champions!

The only relief is that the 'Kick and Clap' brigade with the new Gavin Henson/David Beckham at No10 were beaten by slightly more points!

Stirling, your comment about Super League is unfounded, who has won the majority of World club championship the last 10 years? Marshall, the NZ playmaker is UK bound for Leeds and TL who ran the show for NZ in both England games has been playing his rugby in Super League.

...yes, just like the England football team, good domesticaly but crap at internatioal level, and remind me WHERE the club championship has been played the last few years ?.

And the UK bound test players ? , I agree with this bloke.....
http://msnsport.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12196_4506292,00.html

The_Jimmy

War Hero
Oh dear another win for the Aussies 52 nil

So its the Aussies V NZ in the final wow who would have thought :sleepy2:

The_Jimmy

War Hero
Good win by the KIWIS...RLWC Champions...havent heard the end of it from the Kiwi's alongside...thank goodness we are under way!

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Seen this post on RU forums I go on, why have you put it on here?
MOD's, I'd take care with this, seems a little strange to me, maybe I've just got a suspicious mind!?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Press release: Northern Powerhouse at the heart of Rugby League World Cup 2021 MoD News 0
perrym Armed Forces Rugby League World Cup Fixtures Announced Sports and Adventure Training 0
perrym Great Britain Armed Forces Rugby League World Cup Squad Announcement Sports and Adventure Training 3
perrym Defence Force Rugby League World Cup Sports and Adventure Training 2
MoD_RSS Government pledges £16 million to rescue Rugby League MoD News 0
trehorn Rugby League: Hunslet Hawks 34 Royal Navy 14 Sports and Adventure Training 0
N Rugby League Referees Course - Aldershot - Feb 22-23 Sports and Adventure Training 5
soleil Rugby League Internationals - Free tickets for Armed Forces Sports and Adventure Training 0
N Rugby League Match Officals Course Sports and Adventure Training 1
perrym Babcock Rugby League Inter Services Tournament Sports and Adventure Training 0
perrym Royal Navy Women's Rugby League - First Game Match Report Sports and Adventure Training 3
N Rugby League Match Officials Course Sports and Adventure Training 0
perrym Babcock Engineering Services Inter-Services Rugby League Sports and Adventure Training 0
guterslohwire Navy Rugby league Sports and Adventure Training 6
soleil Army v Navy Rugby Match, May 2nd 2020, Cancellation Sports and Adventure Training 0
MoD_RSS Travel advice for England rugby fans travelling to Rome MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Travel advice: Rugby Union Six Nations match against Italy MoD News 0
soleil ForcesNet: "John Inverdale Praises 'Really Good' Navy Rugby Final" Sports and Adventure Training 0
soleil Medics Rugby Challenge - Medical Students v RM - November 5th 2019 - Plymouth Albion RFC Sports and Adventure Training 3
MoD_RSS Rugby World Cup 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Japan Rugby World Cup: Investment in UK Housing & Regeneration MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Japanese comedian’s top tips for fans travelling to the Rugby World Cup MoD News 0
Ageing_Gracefully 6 Nations Rugby - FTV Sports and Adventure Training 2
MoD_RSS Press release: Demonstration road gifted to rugby club for car parking MoD News 0
W Army Navy rugby The Quarterdeck 2
J Army v Navy Rugby tickets Social & Reunions 0
Naval_Gazer Royal Navy Inter-Service Rugby Champions 2016 Sports and Adventure Training 4
RabC Rugby Fun Diamond Lil's 9
taffscrivs SIX NATIONS RUGBY 2016 Sports and Adventure Training 42
Sumo Rugby World Cup starts today, have your say Diamond Lil's 69
taffscrivs Prem Rugby Sports and Adventure Training 0
soleil Pompey News: "Royal Navy Drills Help England Women’s Rugby Squad" Sports and Adventure Training 0
soleil NFF: "Competition: Be a Mascot for the Army V Navy Rugby Union Match" Sports and Adventure Training 0
soleil Royal Navy Rugby Union - Director Of Rugby Vacancy Sports and Adventure Training 1
Bluebird79 Army vs Navy Rugby 2014 Sports and Adventure Training 54
soleil Herald: "Fundraiser Ahead Of Rugby Game" Sports and Adventure Training 2
soleil Union Jack Club - Army v Navy Rugby 2013 - April 27th 2013 Sports and Adventure Training 1
Joint_Force_Harrier Army v Navy Rugby 2013 Sports and Adventure Training 3
Naval_Families_Federation Competition: Be a Mascot for the Army V Navy Rugby Union Match Current Affairs 0
janner Typical Rugby Man Miscellaneous 0
soleil Army v Navy Rugby At Twickenham - 27/04/2013 - Tickets On Sale Via The RNRU Sports and Adventure Training 68
Sumo Royal Marines V Peninsula Medical School Rugby Charity 17
S Rugby Diamond Lil's 0
soleil Rugby: Royal Marines v Peninsula Medical School - 8/11/11 - Plymouth Albion Sports and Adventure Training 0
soleil Rugby World Cup 2011 Sports and Adventure Training 57
soleil Help For Heroes Rugby Challenge - Saturday 3 December 2011 - Twickenham Sports and Adventure Training 5
MoD_RSS Royal Marines teach Afghan colleagues rugby Current Affairs 0
soleil Rugby: Leicester Tigers: "Navy And Marines Join Tigers' Match Day" Sports and Adventure Training 0
soleil Rugby Union: Royal Navy v Royal Air Force - 1930 - April 13th 2011, Newbury Sports and Adventure Training 5
NZ_Bootneck South African Rugby Star dishes out some Justice Diamond Lil's 6