RT

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by ellisdove, Jan 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

Does everyone going for an RT have to know what they want to go in as? Or can you do the test ,then choose from what you are offered afterwards based on your score?

Also ,its a minimum of 10 you need in the maths and english sections but what about the 3rd & 4th sections ,what if you get 5 in each of them? Does this mean that your stuffed and wont be offered any positions ?

Thanks
    Gary

2. Do you know what you want to join as?

3. Hi,

well for a while I was thinking Writer,but there are so much more possibilities ..

4. Indeed. :roll:

5. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Future booty me thinks..... :p

6. He kicks off like one. :oops: :lol:

7. So, the question is then, what is it about Writer that appeals to you, and what kind of things do you enjoy doing. (By 'things you enjoy doing' I am talking about productive things, such as cooking, painting, cataloguing train numbers, but not hedonistic pleasures such as drinking beer/babycham and chasing birds/hunky fellahs.)

8. Hedonistic pleasures? The last time I heard that expression was when I was at defaulters (skippers) in Tamar Barracks.
    No,...it can't be,...your not welsh,...are you? 8O

9. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Dont rule out the Corps at this early stage....... :p

If the OP turns out to be a bird then we have a band service for them.

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It's a bit pointless asking what scores are required unless the person taking the exam intends to cease giving correct answers once they reach the score required for their chosen trade because they know they've answered them correctly up to that point. Technical trades need high scores, some above 16/30 in mechanical comprehension, some trades require scores above 18 or 20/30 in maths/English, some need scores over 23/30 in reasoning.

The idea is to choose the job you want to do rather than take a job because it's the only option left. The trades are very different - those wanting to be an air engineering technician working outdoors on aircraft are unlikely to be satisfied with a predominantly indoor office administration job or vice-versa.

The advice is choose a trade which appeals the most and aim for the highest possible recruiting test score to give the widest range of jobs available should the individual fail to meet the physical, medical or personal qualities required for that trade.

Anyone intending scoring less than maximum available points in the recruiting test in any section is highly likely to be disappointed.

As an aside, although unlikely, it is actually possible to score overall 99/120 and fail to meet the minimum Recruiting Test standard for Royal Marine Other Rank. Equally, with the sections loaded differently, it's theoretically possible to score 38/120 and have enough points for Officer, but not other rank/rating - very unlikely, admittedly.