RT>?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Kal_Stu, May 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Passed my RT on Monday for Medical Ass... but after reading and researching more i have decided i dont really want to do it as u get stuck in hospital sickbays shuffling papers around,, anyways i was just wonderin if i could change my choice or would i have to do the RT again?

2. You can change your mind of trade but the trades open to you will only be decided by the RT score you have. Speak to you AFCO about it.

3. I would say in this current climate having a skill would be in your favour mate. M.A's also get to work with the Royal Marines although i'm sure there will be boring stuff such as dishing out brufen tabs.

4. I certainly did not do much paper shuffling during my 22yrs as an MA.
    And as X.R.D. noted you do get the chance to work with the Royals if you wish. I had a great time with them. It is the same with any branch
    " You get a much out of it, as you put in "

5. Hi Kal_Stu!

Welcome to Rum Ration!

It's not too late; you should be in touch with your CA sooner rather than later, though.

What do you want to change to?

6. i wasnt a hundred percent sure it was just i was reading something on this and they were saying that they were stuck in hospitals for 10 years and a dont want that, i understand for the first couple of years you will be in a hospital for training ect but i want to work on ships more to be honest and not just once like often if you get what i mean.

so maybe would be better to choose a career that your on ships more than,, like sea spec or something

7. In light of the current tempo of operations medics are in short supply therefore you will most probably do your training and then deploy. As an aside M.A's work at Sellyoak on the Military and civilian wards (A&E) where you will get all the experience you need.

If I was you I would think carefully before changing your mind as in my own experience being a medic can be very rewarding even if the outcomes aren't always positive.

See link for some inspiration.

http://www.thisiswesternmorningnews...c-actions/article-1330521-detail/article.html

8. So what are teh ods of being stuck in a hospital for the most of my career then?

as i said i really want to avoid doing admin work all the time,, i am aware that i will have to do some,, just hopfully not day in day out..

i just want a career that i can travel a bit but help out at the same time, not forgotten about in a sickbay at some hospital..

it is not something that am taking lightly as it will be the career i will have to do for at least 4 years

9. As the link demonstrates a RNMA can work with either Royale or the Army on operations. However in order to do all of the wary type stuff you need to be highly trained in field medicine which takes time and unfortunately the need to work in hospitals.

Angry doc on this site might be able to shed some more light on the role of a MA as he has a vast experience of medicine.

10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

12. I think you can get banned from practicing medicine for that sort of behaviour.

13. That or asking your rather butch crewmate whether she's put the "strap-on" around the patient!!

Oh the hilarity!!! :roll:

14. As the link demonstrates a RNMA can work with either Royale or the Army on operations. However in order to do all of the wary type stuff you need to be highly trained in field medicine which takes time and unfortunately the need to work in hospitals.

Angry doc on this site might be able to shed some more light on the role of a MA as he has a vast experience of medicine.[/quote]

So how long would you say you would be working in hospitals for,, again I am aware that your going to have to gain exp from working in hospitals,, but roughly how long would you say you would be in a hospital for?

Thanks for the link, intresting and it shows that your not necessarily going to be stuck in hospitals for the whole of your career...

15. So how long would you say you would be working in hospitals for,, again I am aware that your going to have to gain exp from working in hospitals,, but roughly how long would you say you would be in a hospital for?

Thanks for the link, intresting and it shows that your not necessarily going to be stuck in hospitals for the whole of your career...[/quote]

Short answer mate. No idea!!

16. Short answer mate. No idea!![/quote]

well that's what is putting me off the idea of a MA, anyways thanks for the help,, going to see my CA on Tuesday when a have eye test and hand in the medical questionire ect,, will have decided what to do by then ha..