RT tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by wordsandguitar, Jan 7, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello :)

I have my RT tomorrow. Ever the eager beaver, I decided that two days would be more than enough time to refresh the knowledge I gained in secondary school... over 10 years ago. 'Long division,' She says, 'How hard can it be?'

Anyways, after searching through these here forums I have found a ton of handy information that has (somewhat) prepared me for what lies ahead... So I'd like to thank all you contributors for that :clap:

I'm applying for CT... and I've JUST read that this has one of the highest test scores to achieve. No pressure then!

I was told at ICP that staff won't 'steer' you into a job... So I believe that if I don't make the grade for CT tomorrow it's a 6 month wait until I can attempt it again? Unless I do well enough for my second choice...

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep, in the unlikely event you don't reach the score required, you will be told what alternatives are available to you. In my experience, those that don't crack it as a CT often consider CIS. That said, in my AFCO, flavour of the month seems to be Aircrewman.
  3. I am sure you will be fine- i know its easier said than done but try to go in with a clear head and dont let nerves overtake judgement. When i did mine i left the ones i wasn't sure of and went back to them at the end; no point wasting time trying to figure out an answer you are not sure will be right at the expense of missing questions after it you know! I think i only missed 1 in the end by doing that. Also went with my first instinct on the ones i wasnt certain of and it seemed to work ok.

Let us know how you get on :)
  4. My initial interest was as a Writer so I wouldn't rule that option out if I've the aptitude for it. CT is just a huge leap in the opposite direction from my job at the moment, so I quite fancied the challenge ;)

Thanks for the advice Rachelthree! I think I've refreshed my memory about as much as I can and all I can really do now is go in there tomorrow and do my best. 'If at first you don't succeed...' and all that jazz :)
  5. Go for writer :D as long as you get in the zoneee you'll be fine!
  6. Applying for Writer yourself by any chance? :rabbit:
  7. Maybeeeeeee
  8. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

... - . . .-. / -.-. .-.. . .- .-. / --- ..-. / - .... . / .-- .... .. - . / -- .- ..-. .. .-

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren
  9. Looks like your inks running out.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  10. (.) (.)

Just the thoughts of an ex-matelot
    • Like Like x 2
  11. I have my RT next Thursday! Any advice! I have done everything that everyone has mentioned on here! Including racing against the clock! I'd like to go for Aircraft Handler as a job so was wonder is this at least a percentage score of 50% minimum?

12. First piece of advice is that the book they give you to practice isn't a good example of what the tests are like on the day. It was similar but the real thing was harder. Get an app for your phone with quick-fire maths, maybe have a refresher of GCSE physics, such as projectiles.
  13. Ok, I shall give that a try. Have you any idea what sort of percentage it is for an Aircraft Handler? My aim is to get 50% or more.

Another thing I don't understand is, do you have to get 10 questions right in at least English to pass or do you have to get both English and Maths to pass the RT ?

14. I should aim for 100%; or the bloody things fall over the side! :laughing5:

Otherwise Good Luck. CT is an intresting job - alledgedly
    • Like Like x 1
  15. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Now its fair to say I wasn't a Wafu, but I always understood that an Aircraft Handler was akin to being a Parking Valet.
  16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

So you're intending answering just over half the questions correct?

Here's a plan - Aim for maximum marks in each section.

Don't worry about minimums, there are several ways in which to achieve failure. You can underscore in the "all-up" score if you wish or you can settle for underscoring in individual sections, whichever suits.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

..-. --- -..- - .-. --- - / --- ... -.-. .- .-. / .-- .-. . -.-. -.- ... ;)

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren
  18. What was the quote from Our Girl? "We are not looking for those that are not the worse Ms Dawes but those that strive to be the best"

19. Trouble with (teenage?) spots eJ?

Just the thoughts of pizza face.
  20. No, I want too achieve 100% if I can haha! That would be good! My maths isn't exactly that good but I can do the basics that's needed for the test, I just usually make silly mistakes with mathematics so that's annoying! And trying to do it all against the clock doesn't help haha! But I've practiced and so far so good anyway.

Just wanted to know if you fail the maths section does that mean you fail the whole RT? That's all.

• Like Like x 1