RT Tests

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Navyplym, Feb 23, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have my RT's on Wednesday any helpful advice?
  2. Near the top, right of this page there's a picture of a magnifying glass with 'Search' written after it. This is the first test of your reasoning skills.
    • Like Like x 1

3. Don't listen to him! The pinkies had to show him where it was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yes, RT stands for Recruiting Test. The thread title effectively reads "Recruiting Test Tests".

Oh, and good luck.:)
  5. I didn't pass :( not high enough for Officer so am gutted. The books and resources I used were nothing like test. I want to re sit but have no idea how to revise now as everything I did before didn't work :( devastated.
  6. Ninja_Stoker

The questions in the RN practice test booklet are taken from the three versions of the test with changed values. The biggest snag most people encounter is not the difficulty of the questions, just the time allowed.

As advised in the book, there's 120 questions and 44 minutes.

You can either pick yourself up, dust yourself down & crack-on or you can accept defeat & vindicate the reasons for having an entrance test.

If you would not consider joining as a rating, then perhaps you need to become limitation aware.

Good luck whichever you choose.
  7. If it's any consolation, mine was higher than most officers yet I joined as a Rating (through choice), don't let that hold you back as it's still possible to be pulled out of Raleigh to join the officer scheme.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I want to join as a TMO and the careers office said there was no entry in as a rating it's as an Officer only and that was that. So I can re take in 6 months but am guessing this will be last try as you can only take it twice? and with my age being 30 this year time is running out as the TMO closes when you're 33. I just felt like a right idiot as I bought 2 books online did all the assessments, downloaded more practice from the internet and just have no idea what happened. He said there was no minimum score required for the mechanical section which is what I did best in I think, just general reasoning, Maths and English you have to hit a certain score. So I am determined to do it again, but unsure what to use to help practice as none of what I practised for came up. The test wont be the same I am guessing as what I took they must rotate the tests. Just gutted when it's all I've thought about and really hard to go back to work when I don't want to be there. All the study and practice I did didn't help either.
    Crushed about sums it up!
  9. Ninja_Stoker

There are free online psychometric tests and BBC GCSE bitesize adequately covers the scope of the standard required.

You are aware TMO's are effectively teachers and they seldom go to sea?
  10. Yes my background is in teaching so this is why it appeals to me. I bought a bite size maths gcse book and bought 2 of Richard MCmunn books but think I may go for graduate physcometric test books for my second attempt.
  11. Ninja_Stoker

12. But he also pitches to people wishing to join the Navy as well, having been in the Navy he says so I bought a Navy specific book of his and a generic psychometric book and looked at the civil service tests online too. Thanks for the link I shall work through my way through the links posted on the website.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Hold on, you want to be a Schoolie but can't pass a simple maths and English test first time round?

It's probably a good thing I'm not on the AIB.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Thanks White Waters and Ninja Stoker for your advice really helpful :) I'll use the links you've suggested thanks again. It's what you want from a forum helpful positive advice. A credit to the Navy.