RT Score for Engineer

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by IconicBuck, Aug 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I did my RT a while back and got a couple jobs WS and Sea spec those types, i was hoping to get enough for some type of engineer so i would have a trade or something to fall back on, its been almost half a year since i did that,would it be worth it to retake the RT to gain a higher score?
    the reason why i ask this is my maths is shocking and i was just wondering how much of the maths section counts towards getting a job in the engineer branch ?

thanks for any advice in advance

2. OMM

OMM War Hero

Contact your AFCO and ask if you got the required score if that's the branch you want to go into.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If you scored high enough for WS and Sea Spec, by not ET, then it`s safe to assume you need to increase your maths score by about 50%.

In addition it`s feasible to score zero in Mechanical Comprehension or Reasoning and still pass for non technical trades whereas the ET specializations require at least 50% correct in those sections.

When it comes to revising for a result, beware thinking "I was only a couple of points short in specific sections" and only revising those those bits - odds are the all-out score could need improving by 30-40%

Good luck - preparation is the key.

4. Ninja, for those of us of the older and fartier persuasion, is there anyway we could get access to an online RT type test to see how we would do? Just for a wheeze!

5. Ninja_Stoker

Behave!

The RN still use the same paper and pencil test format, first introduced in 1943. The Army have used a computer-based version of their test since 1995, by way of comparison - fast, accurate, no room for marking errors or need for counselling.

A good online example of the RN test can be found here for those who fancy a bit of brain strain: Sample Tets – UK Civil Service and Royal Navy

6. Blinkin flip! That made I think! ! think I should have been a steward! 5 minutes isn't long!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nice one. Got them all right.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  8. If you want to do engineering then the inconvinence is probably worth it for you! I'm not the best at maths, but using brain training on the DS and various online practice tests (all done against the clock!) i managed to get a good grade in the RT on all the sections which was a relief; was awaiting a mathematical failure. Cannae help with how much you would need to get to do engineering etc but get in touch with your CA perhaps and see what they say, with some preperation though i reckon you can do it :) especially as you have done the test once before and have a vague idea the kind of things that crop up and what you need to revise

9. Presuming you did the Royal Navy test, what 'nth terms' are you talking about? The closest to 'nth terms' was the telephone and that was not the way to solve the problem.

Do I need to look at the other tests to see what 'nth terms' you are talking about?

10. BBC - KS3 Bitesize Maths - Quadratic sequences : Revision, Page 3

11. I'm well aware of what they are Soleil but didn't see any quadratic sequences in the Royal Navy test I looked at, hence my asking about Grim's necessity to remember about them. Perhaps they may have been part of the other Civil Service tests, which I didn't look at.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Perhaps I should have checked that somehow the second part of my message hadn't failed to be included. I was meaning to say I then went to have a gander at anther practice test elsewhere that was of a similar quality. That had a question requiring nth term.

Although if failing to read over y posts is the worst cock up I make today I shall be delighted.

Sent via Heliograph from the Jebel Birkenhead

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  13. I was thinking down the route of WE or ME does That principle still count even though its not ET

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

14. Ninja_Stoker

The principle stands for ET, be it AE, (ME) & (WE), although ME/WE require the same scores, but slightly lower than AE.

You've confused me now, I need to lie down.

• Like Like x 1