RT, Medical, Interview - In which order?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by hello_there, Nov 22, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have my RT in a couple of days and I'm not sure exactly what comes next regarding interview and fitness tests/medical? On the official Royal Navy website when you click to see the joining process it says nothing of an interview at all! The steps are as followed:

1. Get in touch by filling out a simple form
    2. Attend an initial careers presentation at a careers office near you
    3. If you're still interested, fill out a short application form
    4 We'll book you in for the RT
    5. We'll then review your results and chat though the most suitable jobs (IS THIS THE INTERVIEW)?
    6. Take the medical tests and the pre-joining fitness test.
    7. Pass out pre-Royal Navy course
    8. If passed everything we'll make you a formal job offer
    9. Join the Royal Navy

Regarding step 2. I have not attended or been invited to a careers presentation, in fact I have not been to the AFCO yet at all, yet my RT is booked.

HOWEVER. In the booklet provided from the official Royal Navy website the selection process is laid out as followed:

1. Initial interview and presentation
    2. Recruiting questionnaire
    3. RT
    4 Selection Interview
    5. Medical and eye test
    6. Fitness/medical
    7. Security checks
    8. Start initial training.

This is conflicting and confusing information. Or am I overlooking something? Like I said I have my RT in a couple of days and was not told by phone or in the email that anything else (certainly not interviews) would be conducted on that day. Right now I am focusing only on studying for the RT, I have not yet prepared for an interview. I see there are 2 interviews (initial and selection) and clearly selection is going to be the "main" one, but how should I prepare for the initial interview and will that be happening on the day of my RT?

(struggling to contact AFCO directly since I work the same hours its open and I cannot use phone at work) Thanks.
  2. Mine was in the order of the booklet which you posted
  3. So it can be different for each candidate? I don't mind, would just like a couple of weeks to prepare for an interview that's all. So far Ive focused all my spare time on studying for the RT.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

For ratings it should be recruit test, selection interview, medical, fitness test, security clearance, PRNC, entry.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks. It wont be on the same day as the RT though? Also what exactly is the initial interview then?
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Not unless the call-in letter states you are being interviewed on the same day.

The selection interview last about 45-60 minutes and is all about you, your current circumstances, family education, fitness, motivation, knowledge of your intended career (training duration, locations, content, terms and conditions, etc).
  7. Does that include goings on in the Navy in general? I've been reading a lot of info off the Navy website, but is it worth brushing up on current affairs in the Navy like the new carriers and recent news and stuff, or do we just stick to stuff about our branch/trade?
  8. Ninja_Stoker

An overall awareness or RN current affairs will do no harm - ask your AFCO for a copy of the last few Dockyard Dandies (Navy News) when you go to sit the Recruit Test.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I spent money on RN handbooks and hours pouring over navy history and current affairs but just got asked about the branch and what I knew about aeronautics and propulsion systems - which isn't a lot. Thankfully I had a sound bloke that helped me stutter through it.
  10. Yeah that's what happened with me :)