RT Mechanical Comprehension Question 8

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by 2and2makes5, Sep 8, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. They're all the same level but the diameters are different, it's basically asking for the container that has the greatest pressure at the bottom of the tube so look at the diameters not the levels.

2. So if the diameters are different why is the pressure the same?
  3. Easy peasy, but I'm not going to tell you...
  4. You big liar :p
    • Like Like x 1
  5. If they're filled to the same height it means they're different volumes as the shapes are different. Because of this you look at the height...if they were all filled with 30cm3 of water there would be more pressure in A.

Is this right?
  6. If you are at 10m in a swimming pool, lake or the ocean you will always get the same pressure. Pressure is not volume dependant - it is only related to depth and density

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  7. Ok great thanks for the quick reply. I get what you mean now :)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Although this only applies if all are salt water :). Don't panic - rather get sleep - like any other test

10. Instead of worrying about the RT (which is a piece of piss), I suggest you start working on your naked press ups.

You'll thank me later.
  11. Ah damn, and here's me working on my naked pelvic thrusts instead. How stupid.

But you'll thank me later.

12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The mechanical comprehension section of the test trips many.

Thirty questions, ten minutes, so 20 seconds per question. If you are spending longer than that on a single question without having a stab at it, you're probably thinking about it too much

Graduates are often the worst offenders for doing this as they "see" several viable answers, instead of viewing it in a simplistic manner. They tend to philosophise about instances were an alternative answer could be right - such as differing densities of water or gravity acting differently at altitude, etc. It's why some are crap at making a decision but brilliant at calculating variables.

If you don't put a cross through one of the answers, the question is marked wrong - the majority of people who fail in the mechanical comprehension section do so, not because they get the answer wrong, but because they don't answer all the questions and that's usually because they are arsing about theorising.

A guess has a 20% chance of being correct, an educated guess in which you discount all bar two possible answers has a 50% chance.
  13. Actually, I think this is one of the better questions that get asked on here. Loads of people fail the RT, a test that years ago, would have been the educational level of an eleven-year-old. Many people fail on the mechanical questions. I contend that it's important to know why an answer is correct or incorrect.

In this case, pressure is a feature of depth, and as all are of equal depth, so all are of equal pressure at the bottom. You'll probably remember this forever and even if you don't get this exact question on the test, because you know why, you'll be able to answer similar questions.
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, I'd agree knowing the answer is always a help, but would add that admitting to not knowing an answer in this type of test during the actual assessment by leaving it blank is effectively negatively marked whereas a wrong answer is not deducted.

The Mechanical Comprehension section to many, is outdated, but obviously you need to play the game - even if you'll never wire a plug in real life nowadays or have to know the symbols on an electrical circuit diagram before you are trained specifically to understand them.
  15. Not so much knowing the answer but if you know the how or why, you can work out the answer. Particularly knowing why an answer is wrong, might give you the ability to answer several other questions.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Thanks everyone for the advice. I passed thankfully. Did the worst on mechanical though but that was expected :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ninja_Stoker

Well done & fear not.

As long as you're joining as an Engineering Officer, we expect mechanical comprehension to be a weak point.:wink:
    • Like Like x 1