RT - English Practise?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Jtaylor, Oct 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I've been reading Rum Ration for about a year now but never posted so first off, Hello! I'm in the process of applying as a AC and have my RT on the 19th of October. I'm feeling pretty confident on the maths side of things but having taking some verbal reasoning practice tests on Psychometric Success and Practice Tests I'm only scoring around 50-60% as the questions just seem very ambiguous.

That said I've found the questions in the practice booklet fairly easy and completing well within time. Is there any way to revise for verbal reasoning?

While I'm here is there any difference between the FAT's for pilots, obs and ATC officers than those for AC's?

Thanks in advance,

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Welcome to the site as a contributor.

FATS for AC, ATC & Aircrew are identical.

The problem with psychometric tests is that some people try to think too deeply & "outwit" the known answer. We often get people claiming that in certain circumstances the correct answer would be incorrect or another answer could be correct.

There is only one correct answer & the tests are marked by a foil manually or by computer, with no facility to argue the toss. The advice is to simply go along with it & remember there are no trick questions, only definitive correct answers.

If you are only scoring 50-60% correct, the odds may well be that you are spending too long contemplating life, the universe & everything when the answer is indeed 42 as originally thought.

Best of luck.
  3. I didnt revise for the English section at all, and to be honest with you, you really cant revise for it. Its mainly to do with vocab, if you read a lot, you will find it a doddle. There was also a lot of questions in mine that related back to the "olde" days :lol: A few religious words and words I have never heard.

Give it your best shot
  4. Cheers for the advice,

Yeah that's exactly my problem, I'll just crack on with more practice tests till i get my head around it.
  5. Careful some of us come from the "Old Days" :) If you have come across words you have never heard before, just wait until you are in :D
  6. Yeah I've run through that one several times, still getting stuck at 60-70% where as with the booklet it was 100% first time round but sod it I'll deal with it on the day no point dwelling.

Cheers again everyone!