R's to go by March?

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Jim30, Dec 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. All

Just been to a very large naval stores office and been told that a signal has been issued to all stores informing them that they are not to issue R epaulettes WEF Feb / March time. All personnel are to use RN rank slides from that time.

Thank you so much COMMARRES for taking the time to communicate this mildly important piece of information to us - after all we're only mere mortals who're affected by this.
  2. and no doubt all stores will be issued with additional sets of RN epaulettes to make the change seamless..............................................
  3. NELSON slops refused to issue with me rank slides with an R back in January this year, so won't hold my breath on this one!
  4. They were still issuing RNR flashes for no 1 suits at Raleigh in October at least. I would think they still are.
  5. If this is gen, then I am over the moon. Can anyone trrack down the source of the info, I will be trawling thro DINs for the rest of the shift now :D
  6. Thats my beef - no announcements or DINS' - rather a certain large establishment being told a signals been sent. This is so typical of the RNR, keep us in the dark and feed us manure attitude. No wonder we have a retention crisis...
  7. Shutit mushroom ;) ;) :D
  8. Take one sharp knife...
  9. I was told that the R will go for all uniform except no1's.

The reason is that RNR confuses people esp crabs who do not know or care what RNR stands for

part way for loosing the "R".

I however do like it as well as i can do the same job as a navy officer and hold a proper job as well. Multi tasking, navy dont do that!! :lol: , well at least not without a permit :p
  10. Latest buzz I have heard is that they are going to phase the 'R' out over the next few years starting with the 'R' on the right sleeve (the saluting arm!) and then when people start asking why the (remaining) 'R' is on the left sleeve (that's the non-saluting arm) rather than a more logical 'L' for 'Left', they will get a Queen's order in Parliament for it to be finally removed.

Not sure how genuine this buzz is but it seems to fit with the grand strategy of 'take a good idea and make a total f**k up of it'
  11. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Should be fun seeing as there are not enough Lt and Lt Cdr tabs without the R's as it is. Some minor supply hicup that I am sure will be fixed in next to no time by the new and improved Supply Chain branch.
  12. The buzz I heard was that it is not going yet as the Queen isn't happy... Her father was RNR?
  13. It would be nice to think that HMQ is that interested in whether or not we keep the 'R' but I would have thought that particular rabbit would have been chased down the hole before the democratic 'shall we, shan't we, lets have a show of hands' process was started.

No, I stand by my assertion that it will be done one arm at a time to allow us all time to get used to the idea but that, in order for the RNR to remain 'distinctive', we will ultimately be issued with little brass badges in the shape of an 'R' which we will be encouraged to wear inside the curl on days with an 'S' in them.
  14. ok.....so lack of comms between RN and RNR......(sigh) normal SOP's as we all know.
    But we all knew it was coming but............ofr myself I was expecting it to be at least another 3 years. I was looking for the same standard of care and attention that was "lavished" on the branch badge for MOB. I wear that badge coz as a loggie it's the only one available to me.....but it still means nowt to the RN as it's a RNR specific badge. Anyone for a star with SC in the middle of it?????????

(might be a daft question........which R are we loosing 8O :D :D :D )
  15. It's worse than a lack of comms between the RN and the RNR Jesse - it is actually a lack of comms between CMR and the RNR.
  16. not really wanting an argument but surely CMR is the same as the RN....as most of our senior officers are Regular serving officers?
    by senior i'm talking about cpt and up (not the recognised deffinition I know but for this one).

Most of the info on this has come from verbal dits from visiting senior officers. Soooooo untill the word becomes written I won't get excited about it......
  17. Sounds like a cunning plan to make it look like we have more people in the Navy than we actually have, bit like putting a couple of guns on a RFA and calling it a warship - like using the caribean tanker to chase drug runners - it's still a bloody merchant ship, manned primarily by civilians!! but it looks good?
  18. You have been out in the sun for too long my friend!

Then again, looking at some of the other decisions that have been made of late...
  19. The R in question is for Officers to loose the "R" in the curl of the stripes..
    For ratings, the sleeve that has RNR on it will change to Royal Navy. It does not change anything for LH, PO or CPO as they dont have any difference in rank sleeves.

:oops: No1's will keep the R in the curl for Officers and Royal Naval Reserve shoulder flash for ratings. 8O

As other people have said dont hold your breath
  20. why dont they just leave the "R" on the right sleeve and replace the R on the left sleeve with an "L".
    That way all those pillocks that have difficulty in drill will finally know which is there left and there right and stop everybody else looking like a bunch of aresholes :lol: