RR Members phot thread (Only pics you've taken yourself)

repoman

War Hero
Looks like a sun dog. Did you by any chance see anything similar on the other side of the sun? (from the shadows, quite a bit to the left)
No matey, I wasn't looking in that direction, it just caught my eye while I was wandering around. Might remember that for the future.

Wightsparker

War Hero
No matey, I wasn't looking in that direction, it just caught my eye while I was wandering around. Might remember that for the future.
As I understand it, sun dogs ( or sundogs) are formed when ice crystals act as prisms. Usually occur at the same angle from the horizon as the sun, with one each side. You can find examples by searching the web ( I'm not going to fall foul of the site police by uploading pictures I haven't taken myself!) but your pix seem to fall into the sun dog category.

Wightsparker

War Hero
Prior to 1928, you could walk/ride/drive from Niton to Blackgang in the deep south of the Isle of Wight along a twisting narrow road which along the Landslip below the Gore cliffs. The road was popular with romantic landscape painters. In 1928, however, a massive landslide severed the road and brought down hundreds of thousands of tons of rock, mud and earth.

You can still travel along the Old Blackgang Road from Niton as far as the point where the road was destroyed. There's a small car park where you can look across the still-ravaged landscape, now largely covered with trees and undergrowth. (first picture)

The second picture shows the view to the left of the first, with the remains of the landslip in the centre and looking roughly south-west towards the English Channel, with the beach at Rocken End out of sight far below.

2019 Blackgang cliffs re-sized.jpg2019 Blackgang landslip re-sized.jpg

The other end of the severed road still exists at the remains of the hamlet of Blackgang, with further landslips having caused significant damage since 1928.

Wightsparker

War Hero
@repoman posted some interesting pictures which I suggested looked like sun dogs. This evening, about 1820 BST, I noticed a curious "upside-down rainbow" in the sky over my house in the Arreton valley, Isle of Wight, UK.

CZA1 resized.jpgCZA3 resized.jpgCZA4 resized.jpgCZA5 resized.jpgCZA2 resized.jpg. After checking Mr Google, I found I had seen a "circumzenithal arc", or CZA. Apparently not that rare, it is not often seen since it appears too far overhead. Indeed, Mrs Wightsparker, summoned to see the phenomenon, simply couldn't make it out because of the glare of the sun - she only believed me when I showed her the images I took!

Apparently , CZAs, like sun dogs, occur as a result of sunlight refracting through ice crystals. Unlike a rainbow, the CZA curves away from the sun.

repoman

War Hero
@repoman posted some interesting pictures which I suggested looked like sun dogs. This evening, about 1820 BST, I noticed a curious "upside-down rainbow" in the sky over my house in the Arreton valley, Isle of Wight, UK.

View attachment 38614View attachment 38615View attachment 38616View attachment 38617View attachment 38618. After checking Mr Google, I found I had seen a "circumzenithal arc", or CZA. Apparently not that rare, it is not often seen since it appears too far overhead. Indeed, Mrs Wightsparker, summoned to see the phenomenon, simply couldn't make it out because of the glare of the sun - she only believed me when I showed her the images I took!

Apparently , CZAs, like sun dogs, occur as a result of sunlight refracting through ice crystals. Unlike a rainbow, the CZA curves away from the sun.
Hell of an explanation to get out of admitting to the Missus you were pissed and hanging upside down on the kid's monkey bars!

Pontius

War Hero
Just to black-cat WIghtsparker's CZA, I present you with proof of my angelic properties. Flying above some things called 'clouds' in a Vans RV4 I took my halo along for the ride. The reason for stating the aircraft details is because I was surprised how RV4-like the shadow is :)

IMG_3224.jpg

Sumo

War Hero
Just to black-cat WIghtsparker's CZA, I present you with proof of my angelic properties. Flying above some things called 'clouds' in a Vans RV4 I took my halo along for the ride. The reason for stating the aircraft details is because I was surprised how RV4-like the shadow is :)

View attachment 38660I
RaV4 doing vans now? ;) they must have beefed up the engine.

Wightsparker

War Hero

View attachment 38660

:)
Having survived Walpurgisnacht last night, when the witches whirled about the Brocken in the Harz Mountains of Germany, it's worth Googling "Brocken spectre." So Pontius' angelic qualities might have been more demonic!

PedlarP

Lantern Swinger
Calling it Bluebell woods is a bit of a stretch isn't it? There's not a single bluebell to be seen in the last pic.

Sumo

War Hero
Calling it Bluebell woods is a bit of a stretch isn't it? There's not a single bluebell to be seen in the last pic.
That be, the ones in the sunshine have been and gone, those in the shade of the woods have just come into full bloom, I didn't say bluebells outside of the woods :rolleyes:

Wightsparker

War Hero
They're a bit thin on the ground, you need to come out to Kernow land for bluebell woods.
We certainly have bluebell woods on the South Island (The Isle of Wight for confused Kiwis) but the bluebells are also impressive the Downs above Ventnor. The yellow gorse, and the occasional red campion, provide contrasting colour. Pictures taken this morning.
You may have noticed that my ability to provide a horizontal horizon have not greatly improved.

Bluebells May 2 2019 1 resized.jpgBluebells May 2 2019 2 resized.jpgBluebells May 2 2019 3 resized.jpgBluebells May 2 2019 4 resized.jpgBluebells May 2 2019 5 resized.jpgBluebells May 2 2019 6 resized.jpg

fishhead

War Hero
We certainly have bluebell woods on the South Island (The Isle of Wight for confused Kiwis) but the bluebells are also impressive the Downs above Ventnor. The yellow gorse, and the occasional red campion, provide contrasting colour. Pictures taken this morning.
You may have noticed that my ability to provide a horizontal horizon have not greatly improved.

View attachment 38700View attachment 38701View attachment 38702View attachment 38703View attachment 38704View attachment 38705
Impressive swathes of blue. They don't have to have a wood to thrive but they do prefer it.

Latest Threads