RR Members phot thread (Only pics you've taken yourself)

Nice sunny day on the South Island up on Bembridge Down and Culver Down today, though a tad breezy. So breezy, in fact, that the pictures I took with my phone camera of Bembridge Ledge and across the Solent to Portsmouth suffered from camera shake and aren't really useable.

Pictures follow of Bembridge Fort on Bembridge Down, built in the mid-19th century to counter a perceived French invasion threat ( and thus one of the so-called Palmerstone's Follies).

The fort has a deep dry moat with protected walkways (carponniers?) leading to defensive positions on the outside of the moat. The entrance has a look of a toy fort, and I think originally had a drawbridge. You can see the sheaves for the cables on each side of the gateway. The small town in the background of the first picture is Brading.

Bembridge Fort 2 resized.jpg Bembridge Fort 1 resized.jpg

Knotty

Lantern Swinger
The beach at Pagham (near Bognor) this Saturday afternoon. A bit of a stiff South Westerly but a lone wind surfer seemed to be having a ball!!

20181103_133326_resized.jpg 20181103_133351_resized.jpg

I hope he wasn't as close to toppling over as the photo suggests.
It's certainly a valid point, and the thought had occurred to me. But, thankfully, he didn't!
Knowing that I sometimes get horizons not quite horizontal in photographs, I checked back on the series of shots and as far as I can tell the angle is pretty genuine.

Late afternoon near Freshwater Bay, Isle of Wight, today. Pictures show the entrance to the bay and Tennyson Down ( with the monument commemorating the poet, who lived just over the Down at Farringford House). The land visible in the far distance is the Dorset coast near Swanage. A bit of a swell, with a stiff less-than-usual northerly wind kicking up some surf. The odd black dots in the water are the usual surfers.

The building on the cliff on the other side of Freshwater Bay is the former Fort Redoubt, complete with dry moat. It was, for a while, a tea rooms with spectacular views but is now in private hands.

I may post some of these on ARRSE - apologies for duplication to those who use that site....

Freshwater 1 resized.jpg Freshwater 4 resized.jpg Freshwater 2 resized.jpg Freshwater 3 resized.jpg

Strange radios you have on the south Island!!
This was long before I lived on the South Island. Also long before my parents owned a TV set. Thus why I "watched" Listen with Mother on a pre-transistor era wireless with a dial marked with those exotic-sounding radio station names. Life was simpler then.......

This was long before I lived on the South Island. Also long before my parents owned a TV set. Thus why I "watched" Listen with Mother on a pre-transistor era wireless with a dial marked with those exotic-sounding radio station names. Life was simpler then.......
People had patience as well, waiting for it to warm up. I got one of my maternal Grandads old radios going the other day..takes 32 watts and 5 minutes to warm up :oops:

Including the famous one that goes right across the runway at Sandown Airport :) What amuses me is the H&S people that require people elsewhere on the airfield to wear high-vis vests and yet a couple of hundred metres away there's people trudging across an active runway :rolleyes:
The original post was about footpaths.

Walking dog this morning, found Pontius' footpath.
Pictures show warning sign, then view right, view left,and view straight on over the grass runway.
The warning sign actually DOES advise people to wear hi-viz. However, it also directs them not to cross in a large group but go in pairs. I waited for at least 20 minutes, but as no suitable blonde with a large chest turned up I was forced to take the dog home.

2018 Sandown Airport 1 resized.jpg 2018 Sandown Airport 2 resized.jpg 2018 Sandown Airport 3 resized.jpg 2018 Sandown Airport 4 resized.jpg

The original post was about footpaths.

Walking dog this morning, found Pontius' footpath.
Pictures show warning sign, then view right, view left,and view straight on over the grass runway.
The warning sign actually DOES advise people to wear hi-viz. However, it also directs them not to cross in a large group but go in pairs. I waited for at least 20 minutes, but as no suitable blonde with a large chest turned up I was forced to take the dog home.

View attachment 36175 View attachment 36176 View attachment 36177 View attachment 36178
For aviators, the third picture shows some work being undertaken on the grass. The airports's website advises:

NOTICE TO ALL VISITING PILOTS
MAJOR DRAINAGE WORKS ARE TAKING PLACE ON THE NORTHERN SIDE OF THE RUNWAY AT 05 END
WE ARE OPERATING A DISPLACED THRESHOLD AND ASK PILOTS TO LAND AFTER THE MARKER BOARDS USING 05 AND BEFORE THE BOARDS USING 23.

I've attached another which shows a bit more detail.
2018 Sandown Airport 5 resized.jpg