RR Members phot thread (Only pics you've taken yourself)

Went for a bimble round Churchtown Farm, Saltash with wifey Lynher.JPG
Forder.JPG
JP.JPG
For the old salts, Jupiter Point on the opposite bank!
Jess.JPG
The mutt enjoyed it (she hasn't got cataracts, that's just the light reflection!)

Touchy subject then? Or has @Joint_Force_Harrier hit a nerve?
Not at all. However, you asked for my opinion.

However, over the years RN paranoia about us Crustaceans has, in my view, only been detrimental to yourself. This stretches back to the apocryphal 'the Crabs have moved Australia/Guam/Diego Garcia/Gan' stories of the 1960s but has more recently been exemplified with the Sterling efforts of the likes of Sharky Ward, Lewis Page, Lester May and comedy websites such as the Phoenix Think Tank etc.

There will always be tensions between the relative needs of our respective services. F-35B OT&E v getting aeroplanes on the decks of the QECs and 736 NAS v QFI needs are current examples. However, the last CAS and 1SL worked hard to reduce post SDSR10 tensions.

Harrier is gone and in my view both services are moving forward positively to deliver the CEPP and F-35B. I therefore see no purpose in dripping about museum plaques. As I say, look forward not back.

Regards,
MM

Not at all. However, you asked for my opinion.

However, over the years RN paranoia about us Crustaceans has, in my view, only been detrimental to yourself. This stretches back to the apocryphal 'the Crabs have moved Australia/Guam/Diego Garcia/Gan' stories of the 1960s but has more recently been exemplified with the Sterling efforts of the likes of Sharky Ward, Lewis Page, Lester May and comedy websites such as the Phoenix Think Tank etc.

There will always be tensions between the relative needs of our respective services. F-35B OT&E v getting aeroplanes on the decks of the QECs and 736 NAS v QFI needs are current examples. However, the last CAS and 1SL worked hard to reduce post SDSR10 tensions.

Harrier is gone and in my view both services are moving forward positively to deliver the CEPP and F-35B. I therefore see no purpose in dripping about museum plaques. As I say, look forward not back.

Regards,
MM

Fair point, however having spent 4 years at Wyton on Canberras where jointery worked to 6 years of hell at JFH where it was quite obvious that the RN were not wanted I have seen how the RAF PR machine works. I remember joining a Squadron as a quite senior PO and being told by the WO that he see's PO's as Cpl's and leading hands as J/T's and will be treated and respected as such.

ZomboMeme 07062018113348.jpg
My IWM drip was a bit tongue in cheek, but I can imagine it was taken from a press release.

Also it was a GR9A not a GR9 :)

Fair point, however having spent 4 years at Wyton on Canberras where jointery worked to 6 years of hell at JFH where it was quite obvious that the RN were not wanted I have seen how the RAF PR machine works. I remember joining a Squadron as a quite senior PO and being told by the WO that he see's PO's as Cpl's and leading hands as J/T's and will be treated and respected as such.

View attachment 35265
My IWM drip was a bit tongue in cheek, but I can imagine it was taken from a press release.

Met that tude before, I counter with, not possible Cpl are 2 badge AB’s and Srg 3 badge AB’s, once they have come out of their tail spin. I would point out as the senior service we would put the Cpl in the JR’s mess where they belong Srg and above in the SR mess. One irate chappy had to be really put down, I equated the RAF as the youngest sibling trying to put above their weight in the big boys club, Cpl as SR my ass.

View attachment 35265

The alleged 'PR machine' is I think a good example of how stuff can get exaggerated; our own teams, and presence in Defence Media is actually smaller than the other 2 services.

It doesn't help that the RN appear to regularly miss PR opportunities of epic proportions. The recent anti-climax of the first F-35 embarkation on HMS QE is a prime example. The RAF expected a combined PR effort with 3* from both services (we'd actually expected 1SL to go) lined up to attend with the media. Everyone knew it had happened and that there was a news embargo imposed until Friday which is always a dangerous choice. Sure enough, leaks occurred and images got onto twitter so when the official release happened, it was all a tad of an anti-climax and certainly a huge opportunity missed. To make matters worse, the senior officer who attended in the end was Stu Atha.

Your experience in JFH is poor and I make no excuses for a WO who should've made the effort to understand your ranks and skills better. I'd say the JFH period was probably the nadir given how raw the emotions were concerning the decision to prematurely retire the Harrier although I suggest that this has subsequently been proved to have been the correct (or perhaps 'least worst') option. but as I say, that was then, this is now.

Finally, in terms of answering your meme, I'd simply reply with 'for the same reason we needed our GR9s and GR4s!' :)

Regards,
MM

Jacobus

Lantern Swinger

View attachment 35265

Remember it well. Thankfully my spell on 360 had an RN boss who took no shit from the Crabs. Sadly he wasn’t able to prevent PO and Killick being treated as you described.

The Isle of Wight missed the worst of Storm Callum, but the tail end brought some heavy rain this morning. By mid-afternoon, - it was worth getting out for a drive towards the west of the Island. Freshwater Bay had some surf, and some surfers, and the view looking out towards the Dorset coast from near The Needles was dramatic.

2018 Freshwater Bay cliff resized.jpg 2018 Freshwater Bay surfer resized.jpg 2018 Needles 2 resized.jpg

Took Mrs W to Ventnor on the South Island yesterday ( her birthday, don't ask....)

Pictures show the beach and esplanade, and the waves. Then took her to lunch at the Royal Hotel ( similar ambience to The Rock) and parted with a large amount of money for what was essentially just an upmarket fish and chips, and a bottle of wine that cost five times what I would usually spend at Aldi. But it bought me a small amount of credit in the nagging stakes.

Ventnor beach resized.jpg Ventnor waves resized.jpg

South Island sunshine was less obvious today, although the cloud cleared by evening to allow a picture of the afterglow seen from the front of my house in Arreton. (For those worried about deja vu, I posted a similar picture in December last year but there is more colour in this one)

2018 Arreton afterglow resized.jpg

Took Mrs W to Ventnor on the South Island yesterday ( her birthday, don't ask....)

Pictures show the beach and esplanade, and the waves. Then took her to lunch at the Royal Hotel ( similar ambience to The Rock) and parted with a large amount of money for what was essentially just an upmarket fish and chips, and a bottle of wine that cost five times what I would usually spend at Aldi. But it bought me a small amount of credit in the nagging stakes.

View attachment 35722 View attachment 35723
the brown points are priceless :)