RR-ers in IKEA?

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by SONAR-BENDER, Dec 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I went to our local IKEA in Malaga today, and I kid you not, there were HUGE posters everywhere in yellow and black, headlined with a giant font KNUT!

So, have some angry RR-ers infiltrated IKEA or is KNUT Swedish for something?

I need to know!! :lol:

2. Mmmmmm, interesting! We have Spanish knuts, SJRM_RN's linky to German knuts, but there was no sale today! Maybe it is advance warning.

I like the idea of angry RR-ers myself, it has a certain ring to it.

I can see MLP and Black Rat discussing the sales strategy, surounded by a bevy of nubile Swedish designers and marketing people in a damp cellar somewhere in Stockholm............. yes, KNUT. I like that........

3. Sonar B

Knut is Swedish for something! Well, kind of!

St Knut's Day is the last day of the Swedish Christmas and falls on January 13th. Scandinavians have a longer Christmas festival than we do; we have the Twelve Days of Christmas - they have the Twenty Days of Christmas.

St Knut was Knut IV, King of Denmark, before his sainthood; he decreed that the Christmas Festival be extended to the twenty days it became and thus the last day of the Festival became his day, the Feast of St Knut.

The day is like our Twelfth Night; the decorations are taken off the tree and it is taken down. It's actually a big thing for kids, as one of the last things to be done is the taking off of any sweets still hanging on the tree, one last Christmas treat for them.

Some years ago, Ikea chose the name for their after-Christmas Sale Campaigns.

The equivalent would be if I went into, say, Marks and Spencer here in London and saw a poster saying:

"Twelfth Night Sale! The decorations are coming down and so are our prices!"

4. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

You are priceless Sol.

5. Q:What has an IKEA sideboard got in common with a politician?
    A: A screw in the wrong place and the whole cabinet falls apart.. :D

6. Knut it is Swedish for art. There art galleries are called kunstgalleri. You have got to love the Scando's.
    [​IMG]

7. Didn't we have a King Canute (Knut)? Tried to turn the tide or something

8. hackle

hackle Badgeman Moderator

Swedish for art is konst.

:wink:

9. Yes, and his name can also be spelled Cnut.

I remember seeing a biographical film about an American Football coach at Notre Dame (pronounced no-ter daym :roll: ) who was a Knut. Played by Kirk Douglas IIRC.

10. Is there a better class of Knut to be found at the Bristol or Nottingham Ikea :wink: