Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by MilitaryTattoo, May 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The web site is part of a project to keep alive the traditions of the Royal Tournament which was the first, oldest and biggest Military Tattoo in the World until its demise in 1999.

Interest in the Royal Tournament has recently been revived; on 19th May 2008 the Ministry of Defence published the Report of Inquiry into: National Recognition of our Armed Forces. The report produced by Quentin Davies MP, Bill Clark OBE and Air Commodore Martin Sharp OBE MA recognised that “the Royal Tournament provided a very special opportunity for promoting the Armed Forces to the general public.

• Click here to view the MOD Article
    • Click here to view the full report

With this in mind, we have re-launched the web site with two main aims:
    1. To provide information on the Royal Tournament and keep the traditions alive
    2. To encourage people to show their support for the Royal Tournament by joining our mailing list*

*The mailing list will be used for the purposes of keeping people informed of progress on the project. Information will not be given to any third parties. We will publish the number of people that have signed up to show their support.

2. Hoofin' effort. I would think that my visits to the Royal Tournament in the early '70s were partly responsible for me joining the RM in '79. What young thruster could resist after seeing the abseilin'deathslidingsteelyeyed killers that were the RM Display Teams.
  3. By request we’ve added a bit more content to the site, including more YouTube videos. Please join the mailing list if you have a chance.

We’ve recently updated the website and have now included our first gallery. If you have time look, we’d be interested in feedback on the site. Also, if you get a chance to join the mailing list that would help us out as well!

Many thanks

5. Wot, no Mast Manning. Old and decrepid though I am I would be willing to stand on the bottom rung, though no higher! ;)
  6. I was there!

No, not manning the mast but in the audiance!!

7. I played there in the bugle band when at the G Spot in 1971.

Cracking show,the window ladder was there as well.
  8. Hope you dont mind but i have put a link on facebook in the "bring back the royal tornement" group.
  9. Just singed up to the Mailing List . :thumright:
  10. Many thanks! It's a few years since I last saw that at the RT! :razz:
  11. I've joined it.
  12. I have just signed up to the site.

Definetly bring back the Royal Tournament, anything Military is well worth the effort to get it revived.

I was lucky enough to be taken to watch the RT, about 69 by my Grandfather. Even though I joined the Army, I thought that the RN Field Gun Competition was brilliant.

Saw a programme on how they recruited for the FGC a couple of years ago, cracking programme. You certainly had to be strong and have stamina to take part in it.

Must admit i cannot remember as far back as 69, in relation to who won ????
  13. Probably the Fleet Air Arm gun crew :thumright: as they usually won everything :w00t: (Im taking cover) :rambo:
  14. But what weapon did they use then, Phantom
  15. We've added a page to the website which shows the winners of the main Field Gun trophies from 1947 to 1999. Click here to view it.

If you have time to join the mailing list while you are on the website, that would be great too!

16. Thanks for that. Both FAA and Devonport had 3 cons/years each when they won all three cups. :thumright: B/Z
  17. Here are all the results since 1947 etc

1969 FAA again but then they never went to sea so had loads of time and space to get fit.

Field Gun Run

You will of course notice that the Submarine Service has never won the Field Gun Competition. That is because we had more sense than to even consider entering.

19. 9 years on!

Nine years ago this week, Earls Court was alive with the sights and sounds of the Oldest Military Tattoo in the World as the Royal Tournament started its “LAST RUNâ€. The 1999 Royal Tournament was the 119th Tournament and in its final year the show played to full houses at Earls Court from 20th July – 2nd August 1999.

Please take a look at the website and if you haven’t already done so, please join the mailing list. This is a quick and easy way to show your support for the Royal Tournament.

Many thanks