Royal Wootton Basset

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by Handler, Oct 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The title of Royal bestowed on this town for its part in the re-patriation of those who fell.
  2. Quite fitting too, IMHO.
    The townsfolk's depth of feeling and the overriding sense of respect for the poor sods who got slotted has been plain for everyone to see; not only did they pay their respects to the deceased, it provided a focus for the whole nation to think for a while and reflect on just what our armed services are all about.
    Let's hope there are no more souls to mourn in the future, but if there are then I'd fully expect the good burghers of Brize Norton to continue the precedent that Wooton Basset has set. Amen.
  3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Personally I think it's a load of over-sentimental, sycophantic claptrap. But public opinion won and Wooton Bassett got renamed accordingly.

It's a shame you couldn't have shown some similar sympathy in your description of the deceased... :roll:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Hehe!
    Yer an ole cynic, SPB! LOL!
  5. Yes jaybee48, engage brain before fingers you fool.
  6. How is that cynical? It was just a suggestion that you should have shown more respect in your comment, which of course, you should.
  7. Okay you guys, now listen up; my post was totally respectful to those who didn't get back from Afghanistan or wherever, as there but the grace of God go most of us who have come under fire at some point or other.
    The term 'slotted' has become the normal way of describing being lost in action, and there are literally hundreds of references to that term thoughout these boards - so why all of a sudden is it disrespectful?
    Time you fellers got real; I tell it the way it is - not in trite euphemisms or pithy epithets, so don't get slagging me off because you (allegedly) find it offensive.
    On top of that, I find it somewhat hypocritical that someone who holds the view that "I think it's a load of over-sentimental, sycophantic claptrap" should be having a benny at me over the niceties of the written word - kappiche?
  8. It was a poor choice of words and if you cannot see that then there is little hope for you. It would have been a much better conclusion if you had bitten the bullet and accepted that.
  9. I tend to find that post slightly ironic.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I think I see where you are coming from but this is an emotive subject unlike the run of the mill drivel that so often takes up bandwidth, there is a time and a place.
  11. Tch Tch...and from he who described certain coverage of Gaddafi's demise as <<beneath contempt>> at

I call NMC(or least his style) and claim my free ticket to the next Elmdon Council's Sod's Opera.:roll:
  12. Okay, so what is this, exactly - 'let's have a go at JB day'?
    Anyone else want to jump onto the wagon whilst we're here?
    No worries, the shoulders are broad enough; however sadly I have to inform you that you must have me confused with someone who gives a flying carrot what you think.
    If you're that thin-skinned and flaky about the use of normal Naval terminology that you feel the need to make an issue of it, then perhaps it's time for a rethink.
    Sad really, 'cos I was happy getting stuck in; however it looks like the creeping paralysis AKA political correctness has taken over some folks' lives, and after twelve years in politics, that's the last thing I need.
  13. Stop being so self-centered you old fart. Why should anyone bother with a 'let's have a go JB day'?

'Slotted' is not 'normal Naval terminology' for the death of a fellow Serviceperson. It is insensitive, and in the circumstances, offensive slang.

Just as a matter of interest when did "most of us who have come under fire at some point or other" occur during your spell? Kick off at the 1968 Cup Final or something?

'Political Correctness'? Put down your Daily Mail and consider respect for the personnel who are experiencing more conflict than any from our generation - standfast '82, which of course, was after your time.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  14. No need to take the piss, Guzz; you know as well as I do that 'slotted' means killed, no matter which way you dress it up; in my day it was referred to as KOAS, but apparently that changed during the Falklands war - which, incidentally I was called up for.
    FYI, I have the utmost respect for those who died on active service, having missed only one Remembrance Sunday parade since I left the mob in 1972, and fully intend to carry on doing so for as long as I'm able.
    If some of you have taken it the wrong way then I'll put my hands up and apologise - I'd have thought that the rest of the post would have made it reasonably clear that I'm just as conscious of the loss of life as anyone else.
    Daily Mail? Nah, hardly; don't 'do' newspapers much these days; the Daily Sport used to be my fave comic, but there's only so many tits you can look at in one session.
    As for the '68 world cup, I don't remember much about that one, but I do remember the '66 event - the one we won?
    Regards from one old fart to another.....
  15. OK, likewise. Can be a difficult medium at times.

Regards returned jaybee48.

Didn't mean World Cup by the way - FA cup '68 is the first I remember so just used that as a bit of a random one.

Edit: Sorry to bang on about this but you are still getting confused here. KOAS is, I assume, 'Killed On Active Service' in signalese. Not slang, but military abbreviation.

'Slotted' is a relatively new term which appears cool when referring to killing the enemy. No doubt taken from the surfeit of books on recent conflicts. It is not a general term one would use when referring to a fallen comrade.

So I believe.
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  16. San-fairy-ann, M8; terms change with the times so I guess I'll just have to take more care in what I write.
    Odd, really; I managed to look after 9,000 voters in my ward, but never came across this sort of issue in the nine years I was on the council.
    No fool like an old fool, eh?
  17. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

jaybee48 wibbled
    And the skull thick enough?

Is this the way the English language is abused by 1960s veterans these days? Tsk.

Mod head on: as the thread has wandered from its original purpose and become more of a jaybee48 justifying his use of an Andy MacNabism masquerading as established Service slang it is with regret that this thread goes to the Gash Barge.