Royal Wedding

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by rosinacarley, May 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I rather like the Queen, everybody else in the Royal Family is of no interest.

However, did anyone see that the new wife of the 11th in line to the throne has renounced Catholisism so that her husband will not have to renounce his right to the throne.

This irritates me on so many levels - firstly that someone's faith means so little that they can just discard it for £500000 and a spread in Hello magazine and secondly in this day and age of political correctness somehow it is acceptable for a law from 1707 to still be on the statute books, disallowing catholics from taking the throne.

2. The Royals are OK but I wouldn't want one of my kids to marry one!

3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Just seen another one of those pigs fly past the window :dwarf:

4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Yes, but never rich

5. That's a cracker best laugh I have had this week.

6. Being a staunch Catholic from the age of five, when i first walked into a classroom and saw a guy nailed to a cross, it crossed my mind that these barstards don`f feck about, you cannot change anything, you are what you are, the only alternative is a Hypocrite.

7. Conversion is just the other side of the coin from renunciation.

8. So you're suggesting that conversion to an alternative faith, or indeed no faith at all, is unreasonable? Or are you just saying that in this case you don't believe it's is?

9. It appears that some would sell their souls in order to get aboard the gravy train.

10. Obviously I do not know the woman from Adam, she may genuinely love the 11th in line to the throne, but her faith obviously meant nothing to her did it, otherwise she would not have discarded it. He could have stood down from the succession or heavens, the Act of Settlement could be repealed?

11. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

It ought to be blindingly obvious that the chances of the 11th in line to the throne ever sitting on it are pretty low. Yes the lady converted - perhaps she finally twigged the difference between Catholicism and real Christianity - I doubt she has ever said to anyone that she did it to keep PP in the succession; for me, that's just journalistic invention.

It is just as unacceptable to have an RC on the throne as to have one covertly in 10 Downing St., exposed to moral blackmail from sources with no obligation of loyalty to the United Kingdom.

12. ‘It is acceptable for a law from 1707 to still be on the statute books, disallowing Catholics from taking the throne‘Are you not in fact referring to the Act of Settlement 1701which state’s that the throne would pass to the Sophia — a granddaughter of James I of England, VI of Scotland, niece of Charles I of England and Scotland — and her Protestant descendants. Only the descendants of Sophia who were Protestant, and had not married a Roman Catholic, could succeed to the throne. Roman Catholics and those who marry Roman Catholics are barred from ascending the throne "for ever".
    There are of course various reasons for this Act still being in place, foremost being that although some parts have been repealed the majority of it still stands because there has never been a reason to repeal it. Should a future Monarch chose to try and change it that of course will be their choice to make but that in its self is liable to open up all sorts of problems namely. In her capacity as queen of the United Kingdom, Elizabeth II is styled, "Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith". The title, "Defender of the Faith", reflects her position as the Supreme Governor of the Church of England and she is thus formally superior to the Archbishop of Canterbury. Hence head of a Protestant Church.

13. By Jove, and all founded on the Bollocks of Henry the 8th.

14. By Jove, and all founded on the Bollocks of Henry the 8th
    Er! I don't think so, Protestant reformation had been around for quite a bit prior to Henry the 8th He merely used it for his own means namely his divorce.

15. Agreed. Anyway, it's all mumbo jumbo bollocks anyway, I may just as well believe in pixies at the bottom of my garden as believe in any religion.
    Don't get me wrong, I have a very good friend who is a High Anglican vicar, I respect anyones right to believe in what they wish, but please don't expect me to join in. :thumright:

16. It may be she realised just what bollox it is, however it appears that she hasn't renounced her faith, all she's done is rebranded from one flavour of Xianity to another.

She's still Xian, she retains that faith, despite the inconsistencies, lack of coherence and intellectual weaknesses.

Catholicism is Christianity, strangely enough so is the Anglican church. It's not as if she's chosen to become a Hindu or Sikh.

17. Because she loves him! Yeh sure wait til I tell the little people at Glen Cree tomorrow. Another limp arm gravy train open that door do you know who I am, not as important as a school milk monitor shite hawk.

Who are we talking about by the way!!! Besides another nobody thinking they are somebody!!!

18. Mr Blair was heavily influenced by the catholic faith there can be little doubt about that.
    The link between the monarch and the catholic church is close; hence the Duke of Norfolk, the senior catholic in the country, always being at the monarchs side during state occasions. A case of keeping those you don't trust close! Our bloody religious history is interwoven into the state.
    It seems anti catholic legislation is still up and running. I wonder are catholics excused religious ceremonies in the RN still - memories of 'skirmishing' around blocks and buffers party jobs.

19. Bang on! and I reckon old Henry was as much concerned for his bank balance as he was his religious or moral beliefs.

20. The title Defender of the Faith was NOT taken by Henry VIII after the reformation, but bestowed upon him by Pope Leo X in 1521 some 13 years prior to Henry deciding for political and financial reasons (oh and his divorce) to seceed from the influence of Rome