Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Royal Veterans Navy (RVN) for Ex-Matelots (OA)

Mrs HTP sez she would be very happy,even pay the marriage allowance herself,buy me a book of stamps,to drop her a line every year,and as i smoke a pipe ,the upper deck is fine,sit next to the funnel and if they want to blow soot,im their man.

dt018a9667 said:
Scud said:
I would have thought the sheer weight of Ganges dits would render the enterprise somnolent...

Don’t you mean that place at shotley point? Remember us TROGS are not allowed to mention the name. If you don’t I won’t. OK only once or maybe twice………. Honest!

Blake 7 Rule

Oh but this is different, after all the RVS would be full of ex-TROGS, Fisgard's, St.Vincent's, Impregnable's, etc... In this particular part of RR I think GANGES is permissible. OK Eds?

janner said:
You could always join the Maritime Volunteer Service.

I am in no hurry to visit the old Mercury, I understand a large part of it is now a tree huggers cemetary 8O

Mercury now is basically a Expensive Housing development done by Berkleys Homes about 10 years ago,and the old Wardroom is still basically the same but divided up into Luxury Apartments with the original oak staircase still in place.I know this because I was up there laying all the flooring on the new houses.

Apparently some old pikey bought it off the MOD for a couple of million and then sold it a year later for 6 million to Berkley Homes.

well i could do a number of jobs storekeep paint ship cook issue rum if we had it the list is as long as my arm whats the name multi skilled :D but i would have to get divorced as well :lol:

Multi skilled i take it includes everyone,so we would need a female Cap'n, some one has to do the potwash,and what about the female crew? would we be mothered all the time?or would there be younger females,for training purposes only?

One point, all the good runs ashore are gone

Singers won't be the same, I don't suppose the Brit Club is there, Boogie Street I wonder, Aggie Weston's in the dockyard.
Sembawang, any night life there to cater for jolly jack heading back on board and stopping for an "egg banjo".

China Fleet club gone, are all the bars still there?

Malta, the Gut, I read it is all estate agents now.

Certainly need to be a big carrot dangled. lmfao.

The brit club is still there but no longer the brit club aggie westons no as soon as we pulled out it became a seamans mission probably gone now with all the exspansions .Malta all gone but still nice the gut is virtualy empty except for the top end all shops M&S macdonalds etc still see the fronts of a few of the old bars piccadilly gypo queen ciaro bar other than that all gone :cry:

grefs said:
Could never remember the names of the bars, always pissed by the time I got there, and that was by instinct.

I agree. So far as I'm concerned, if they serve alcohol, that's good enough for me, though ideally they'll serve real ale and have some atmosphere!

The reason we need wimmen on board is simple: a) to stop us misbehaving too much; and (b) to stop us drifting into gayness! You probably won't remember, but during John Major's last government I thought it was a remarkably interesting coincidence that the Navy decided to abolish the WRNS and integrate them on board ships just a few months after yet another moral panic amongst MPs about young sailors at sea for long periods without females turning gay! I'm sure the change was really to do with manpower shortages as the Navy claimed, but it it is interesting. Had the gay moral panic of senior RN officers & some MPs NOT coincided with this announcement there would have been a great deal more resistance by Conservative backbench MPs to this change. In the event there was hardly any.

NozzyNozzer said:
The MVS, I remember them well. I joined them after the RNXS was disbanded: the latter was better than the... er... RN... It was MIXED SEX long before the RN ever contemplated it! I'm afraid I'm too infirm for the MVS: they haven't ladder-lifts or even chair-lifts. Also, sadly, they haven't got their own submarines yet, but when they do... :D

Too infirm for the MVS?! I've yet to meet an MVS member below pensionable age! They're all very nice and all that, but unless you've had a telegram from the Queen recently, there's no way you'll be too old Nozzy!

Only had one incident of "gayness" in my 9 years, and that was on the "Eagle", someone was caught down one of the fridge spaces being shown the "Golden Rivet"

I think if they had wimen on ships in our day, ships had bigger crews, a lot more hairy arrsed 3 badgemen,can you imagine jack rolling back sh*ters, or after his tot and a few sippers and his 3 cans+, the captains table would have been pretty full, regular.

grefs said:
Only had one incident of "gayness" in my 9 years, and that was on the "Eagle", someone was caught down one of the fridge spaces being shown the "Golden Rivet"

So we'll obviously need to place a ban on Golden Rivets (except, er, for Royalty) :lol:

I think if they had wimen on ships in our day, ships had bigger crews, a lot more hairy arrsed 3 badgemen,can you imagine jack rolling back sh*ters, or after his tot and a few sippers and his 3 cans+, the captains table would have been pretty full, regular.

Perhaps the solution is to recruit the women for the exclusive task of being the Joss's "handmaidens" (alias: Crushers). Build up their strength until they have bulky muscles and issue them with long white sticks and gaiters and have an all male crew. There is the slight danger that masochism could become trendy if the handmaidens were as spicy as bubbly :roll:

fangita said:
NozzyNozzer said:
The MVS, I remember them well. I joined them after the RNXS was disbanded: the latter was better than the... er... RN... It was MIXED SEX long before the RN ever contemplated it! I'm afraid I'm too infirm for the MVS: they haven't ladder-lifts or even chair-lifts. Also, sadly, they haven't got their own submarines yet, but when they do... :D

Too infirm for the MVS?! I've yet to meet an MVS member below pensionable age! They're all very nice and all that, but unless you've had a telegram from the Queen recently, there's no way you'll be too old Nozzy!

Ladders are a problem, stairs are a much greater problem and narrow hatches and my Polaris width girth might present some practical problems. Also I'd be a little concerned about re-joining: would there be any risk of frighteneing off the nippers (those below retirement age)? What percentage of MVS'ers are former inmates of HM Borstal "Ganges"? :)

NozzyNozzer said:
Ladders are a problem, stairs are a much greater problem and narrow hatches and my Polaris width girth might present some practical problems. Also I'd be a little concerned about re-joining: would there be any risk of frighteneing off the nippers (those below retirement age)? What percentage of MVS'ers are former inmates of HM Borstal "Ganges"? :)

I've also met a few MVS people - all lovely but entirely useless at seafaring. Not many ex-RN, they all seem to be ex-RNXS (logically, as they sprung from that august institution) and as said above you'd probably be the youngest recruit Nozzy!

As I said though, lovely people.... they just don't go to sea much.

Latest Threads