Royal Tournament

Discussion in 'History' started by zooboi, Feb 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been watching some clips of Royal Tournament's on youtube and remember when I went to see them as a child. I was watching the finale from '93 where the Hornpipe was performed by JR's from SULTAN where I am now. Is there anyone out there who can tell me whether they enjoyed performing or whether it was just a big ball-ache?

2. Never done it but...

Imagine being selected for the England Team!
    You would hardly call that a 'Ball-Ache' would you?

However, gutted at the missed opportunity to trial for the reservist team for this years competition due to mobilisation :(

3. Bit confused here.

England team?

Selected to do funny dancing?

There's a reservist team for funny dancing?

Must admit, missing a chance to do funny dancing wouldn't get to me all that much, but each to their own.

4. Who mentioned dancing..?

That was 'England FOOTBALL team' (every four years they have a competition..!:))
    Would you consider this onerous..? (assuming your English)

5. I can remember going when I was a child (seems a long time ago) and again with my (now ex)husband who was taking part in it. I don't think its a tradition that should have been scrapped, obviously the financial cost is always a problem, but its a good way to remind Joe Public that the Forces need support. Bring it back I say!

6. I can't comment on the RT but I did the Edinburgh Tattoo just after leaving St. Vincent. We did the Hornpipe and formed a guard for the Grand Finale, where we were, as the senior service, at the front of the parade. We had 303s and the Junior Leaders had SLRs and had to tailor their drill to match ours.

It was the biggest loaf of my naval career, a good laugh with extra pay, runs ashore in Edinburgh and various other perks and at nearly seventeen I knew I'd made a good choice in joining the navy!

7. The original poster did. This is about the Hornpipe. A dance.

My English what?

8. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

zooboi,
    They started making the tiff's classes just behind me do the display team. Whether or not they enjoyed it was down to the individual, but most of the people I've spoken to about it did.

9. never even got past the opening page - resounding YES

10. Built it for 10 days before and demolished the last night back in Swindon by 0300 and on subsistance. Marvelous days and I wish em on todays lads

11. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

For all our wishing, it won't happen-or at least not in the form we remember it. There are simply not enough sailors around to do field gun anymore. I suppose they could do a Brickwoods type thing, but that doesn't belong at Earl's court.

12. Ahh.. Thanks for that, I was only referring to the run; agree with stupid dance bit
    (note to myself...read posts fully and improve written grammar)

13. I voted yes .But i can never ever see the RT coming back.Not enough personell (and money around come to that )and i cant imagine the brickwoods field gun comp there can you :D