Royal Navy

Discussion in 'History' started by mech1, May 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whilst in the Andrew during the 50/60s, it was possible for sons and grandsons to use their Grand & Fathers official number."Is this still valid?"
  2. I think JPA requires unique IDs.

3. To be honest with you I have not heard of this before. I served from 67 - 94 and had not come across this in my time. I will do some searching to find out, but it is a new one on me.

Official Numbers are sequentlal, and computerised as of the 70s onwards. I joined with P102453, then it went to P102453L, then to D102453L. Gone are the days of P for Pompey, D for Devonport etc. all begin with D.

Regards, Chris

4. Not any more Flaghoist. Now tri-service and currently eight digits beginning with 300 for new (and some re-) entries.
  5. Two lads who joined up at the same time as me in the 80's had numbers total different from the rest of us, as above, we all had consecutive numbers apart from theses two. Neither had served before in any of the forces or reserve forces so we asked our instructor who informed us they were issued to other trainees who had not shown up that year, so they had reissued the numbers.

6. Cheers Guzzler. So no lettering now, just like Army numbers. Times of changes eh.

Regards, Chris
  7. Oooh we served together bunts

I think it is illegal on here to post your official number
    Persec regs and all that

Jack McHammocklashing RO9 (THE RATE NOT THE SHIP) :)

8. When and where Jack.

Regards, Chris

9. Does anyone know when someone with the number P0604** would have joined? Someone I don't remember has contacted me and claimed we served together. My number was issued in 1955 so I am dubious.
  10. Never heard of it. I served 40's and 50's with DMX number did not come across anything different in style of number
    as they gave a fair check on what branch you were in and your service time.
  11. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I joined in 1960 with 054 so 060 was probably around 1962
  12. I know it was in the early 60's, they changed the numbering in April '59. Mine was a D/M number in '55.
  13. That would make sense, janner. I reckon he joined end of '61 in which case he doesn't know me.. I was still in but not under training with him although I was ship's company at RALEIGH '63-'65
    Last edited: May 18, 2011
  14. Joined November 61, ON 065.
  15. Thanks. That fits, I think. He's got me mixed up with someone else.