Royal Navy WW2 Uniforms

Keithdwat579

Midshipman
I have recently been researching the history of British, particularly RN uniforms but I am having trouble finding info on these uniforms.
So I have a couple of questions that someone might be able to help me with
1. When and Where would you wear the black cap and the white cap? as I understand it you wore the black cap in winter in temperate climates, and the white in summer and in the tropics, is this correct? What about winter in the Far East, what do you wear there? Also when was the black cap dropped and why?
2. When would you wear the white uniform and the khaki uniform? They appear to be very similar for similar areas but can anyone enlighten me?
3. What would of been the most common uniforms in home waters? mediterranean? middle east? indian ocean? and far east?
4. In terms of ratings, when you wore the black cap, would you always wear the black undershirt or would the white one also be used.
5. Would the blue uniform ever be worn in the med or the far east?
6. In the cold climates e.g. Atlantic convoys, would you wear the black cap or white.
7. When would you wear the turtlenecks? And when did they leave service, I know they're still used by the submarine service?
I know they're odd questions but Im just interested I guess. Really Im just asking for an overview of the RN uniforms in WW2 and I suppose anything into the 50s/60s if possible, what they were, what they were for, when would they be worn and where?
If you can't be bothered thats understandable but if you know any links where I can get the answers that would be equally as useful!

During the darker days of WW2 there were dire shortages of almost everything imported by the UK (Atlantic U-Boat 'happy time' period)

In a brief signalese, focussing on RN serge uniform shortfalls, certain elements of the Fleet received the following Message:

'WRENS uniforms are to be held up until the needs of Sailors have been satisfied'

Gen Dit - Although perhaps not an exact quotation, IIRC, this originally appeared at Jack Broome's book (?) 'Make me a signal' (?).

Unable to help further so of passing humorous value only.

Seadog

War Hero
During the darker days of WW2 there were dire shortages of almost everything imported by the UK (Atlantic U-Boat 'happy time' period)
In my avatar, Erich Topp is wearing a British Pongo’s Battle Jacket with his Kriegsmarine rank epaulettes attached. A crate of them was recovered from the oggin or something. He thought them practical.

huwshpis

War Hero

In a brief signalese, focussing on RN serge uniform shortfalls, certain elements of the Fleet received the following Message:

'WRENS uniforms are to be held up until the needs of Sailors have been satisfied'

Gen Dit - Although perhaps not an exact quotation, IIRC, this originally appeared at Jack Broome's book (?) 'Make me a signal' (?).

Unable to help further so of passing humorous value only.
You're not too far out, Bob. It's quoted in Broome's 'Make me another Signal' (i.e., Volume 2 of his collection of signals) as "WRNS clothing is to be held up until the needs of seagoing personnel have been satisfied."

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
IIRC white hats were worn at home 1 May to 1 Oct. At the Coronation in 1953, Mountbatten (then 1SL) observed how the blanco on the white canvas caps of the sailors doing the streetlining was running down their faces and blue uniforms (it poured with rain that day). The result was a conversion to white plastic hats all round with white plastic hat covers to replace white pique covers, and later white plastic hats for officers and senior rates. Blue hats were phased out for ever with the 1 May change to white in 1956.

Khaki (army battledress) was worn if working with the army as Commandos etc. Separately, khaki trops were worn in SE Asia, and by aircrew in the British Pacific Fleet, and again separately on assignment to the US when the Yanks were in khakis.

White submarine sweaters were loan clothing rather than personal kit, issued to submariners, Coastal Forces and minesweepers. The submarine version was distinguished by an ineradicable line of brown diesel-soaked sweat round the neck.

Your 'black undershirt ' is a (dark) navy blue sea jersey worn in Blues i.e. 1 Oct to 1May at home.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ArmyFlying Submariners 0
ArmyFlying History 0
S History 6