Royal Navy Writer

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by mclark84, Mar 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi People,

Could someone please tell me more about the role of a writer in the Royal Navy, its career pipeline such as when promotion would be expected and where you could serve and are there places abroad that you could be placed.

Thanks

2. Just sit in an office and tell people "I cant do that, you will have to ring JPAC". Remember that line and you will fly through.

3. I have tried searching and come up with no result. If you do please know of any good posts regarding my question please post.

4. So would a Royal Navy Writer have to do nearly two years of training before even travelling on a ship at sea?

5. ?? Two Years ?? :-| The training time for Writer is to found within the Link in the Post immediately above yours

<<Becoming a Royal Navy Writer

After basic training (NB Now 10 weeks), writers join the Royal Navy Supply School for 15 weeks of professional training. This covers accounting and administrative skills.

Before becoming fully qualified, writers undertake 8 months of supervised work in an in shore unit>>

Factor in: remedials, back-classing, leave, make and mends, adventurous training, etc etc and you might be able to stretch that out to make 'nearly two years'.:-|

6. Nooo they will send you to sea without any professional or on the job training whatsoever.

Please try to realise that there will not be a lot of writers on any current ship in the RN, so trying to train a baby scribes up is not going to happen on a ship, and looking at BOOTWU's post shore side training has actualy shortend since I did mine as back in the 80's it was upto 6 month G and 6 month UPO draft before you went onto the sea roster, and even then you were lucky going right to a sea draft. I was lucky, I did drafty a favour and got to sea a little early.

7. Is anyone else applying for Writer? I feel lonely :sad11:

8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You'll get used to it Rachel.

The "White Mafia" usually close-up shop most afternoons for "training", although some people call it "golf".:thumbright:

9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Of course - it's Wednesday, innit..? :oops:

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

...for the uninitiated, whilst there are "Orange Wednesdays" for freebies in cinemas, for the Royal Navy there are "sports afternoons", and they often occur on Wednesdays.

They are usually called "Make & Mends" - from the days when Jack Tar used to knit himself a new uniform, darn his socks, polish his boots (unless a Stoker - fire hazard, you see) & embroider his uniform badges with a single tread from Argonauts Golden Fleece. Nowadays they play sport instead . (...then very often go to the pub).

11. sgtpepperband

Darts + pool ÷ pub = sports make 'n' mend.

• Like Like x 2
  12. All this time i have been focussing on getting fit, all i need to be doing really is working on my swing and polishing off me sunnies! By the time i actually get in mind i will have had the time to train myself to that of a pro golfer :D

13. sgtpepperband

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. wal

wal Badgeman

When I was at Dryad, my boss was the Sports and Recreation Officer. So On Wednesdays I would usually see him at the eighth tee as I rode by on a dobbin from the stables. Life was a bitch for a POMEM(M) in the 80's.

15. I went down the shop earlier on and bought loads of fruit and stuff, then I came home and had a tidy up.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Got up this morning and had a dump

• Like Like x 1
  17. With writers it always amazed me that they had so much training but still fucked your pay up on a regular basis (no offence Guzz ;) )

18. No JPA back then so we had to be more creative with our excuses.

Edit: For some reason this stupid site or my stupid computer insists on an upper case 'c' in creative. Not my doing. Coincidentally I suppose that keeps within the spirit of the subject.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Were you a writer then Guzzler?